The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Look what I just found! (pedals)

Postby funkylaundry » 21 Dec 2015, 01:30

I just picked up this set of midi'fied bass pedals - really cheap!

Apparently they have been chopped from a small console church organ, so they are built extremely well.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that I can use them. I have never played with pedals, so while I was a bit surprised how large they were when I first saw them, I just figured it would make them easier to heel-toe on, but first I realize that I cannot actually fit them under my C1 without building some sort of custom stand and second I realize that because the pedals are so much larger I can only play a very limited range on the pedalboard if I'm only using my left foot. In classical music players usually play with both feet. I did not realize that.

What would you do?

- Should I try to improvise a stand for my organ (and a bench) and use it to get used to bass pedals and then try to grab a more suitable set of pedals later?
- Should I try to hand it off to a church musician for a profit? What do you think they might be worth?
- I could also look into doing some woodwork and get it modified so the distance between the pedals is shorter, but it seems complex and I doubt I'll end up doing a very good job.

I'd really like to find a proper set of B3 pedals, but those things don't come around often where I live.
Attachments
2015-12-14 21.27.37.jpg
2015-12-14 21.27.37.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 4053 times
Nord Stage 3 compact, Nord C2D, Nord Wave 2, Hammond B-3, Leslie 147, Leslie 122RV, Wurlitzer 200, Fender Rhodes Stage 73, Clavinet D6, Moog Sub 37, DSI REV 2
funkylaundry

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Look what I just found! (pedals)

Sponsor

Re: Look what I just found! (pedals)

Postby Mr_-G- » 21 Dec 2015, 12:36

funkylaundry wrote:- Should I try to improvise a stand for my organ (and a bench) and use it to get used to bass pedals and then try to grab a more suitable set of pedals later?

That is what I would do. Very nice find.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Frantz » 21 Dec 2015, 12:51

What connections does it have ?
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby maxpiano » 21 Dec 2015, 16:01

The distance between pedals is standard, I would not modify it. Get a wide enough bench and extend your stand so that the pedals can slip under the organ.

If you just need a smaller 27 pedals one, take a look here http://www.pedamidikit.org and sell that one to a classical organist ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Dec 2015, 16:05, edited 3 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
MrSitcom
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby JoeCool » 21 Dec 2015, 18:52

I have something very similar. It is a church organ pedal, which is good for me because I also play church organ.
I have my K&M stand extended to max, the left leg outside the pedal, the right leg between high e and f key. The backside legs are behind the pedals case.
Original B3 pedals are a little bit narrower and radial, not parallel.
To make it narrower via woodwork seems far too much work for me. You can always sell it as it is to church organists, who want to play at home via computer and MIDI. There is a demand for midified church organ pedals.
Cheapest solution for you could be: Studiologic MP 117, and then exchange the wood parts of the pedals for some longer pieces (very easy). Range c to e is just sufficient for most things.
Your pedal is best if you want to learn church organ with pedal.
JoeCool

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby funkylaundry » 24 Dec 2015, 02:10

ArfNtz wrote:What connections does it have ?

There is a standard computer-style ribbon cable coming out if that goes into a that supplies midi.

I just found the specs here:

http://www.pausch-e.de/midiscan.htm

It seems to be a PLP001 and a case GMS001.

It seems they also supply complete pedal sets, so maybe mine is actually a build from PAUSC-e and not a chop? It looks strikingly close to these:

http://www.pausch-e.de/pedal.htm
Nord Stage 3 compact, Nord C2D, Nord Wave 2, Hammond B-3, Leslie 147, Leslie 122RV, Wurlitzer 200, Fender Rhodes Stage 73, Clavinet D6, Moog Sub 37, DSI REV 2
funkylaundry

Postby funkylaundry » 24 Dec 2015, 02:14

maxpiano wrote:The distance between pedals is standard, I would not modify it. Get a wide enough bench and extend your stand so that the pedals can slip under the organ.

If you just need a smaller 27 pedals one, take a look here http://www.pedamidikit.org and sell that one to a classical organist ;)

I'm pretty sure it is standard for classical organs but different for Hammond Organs.
funkylaundry

Postby funkylaundry » 24 Dec 2015, 02:17

JoeCool wrote:I have something very similar. It is a church organ pedal, which is good for me because I also play church organ.
I have my K&M stand extended to max, the left leg outside the pedal, the right leg between high e and f key. The backside legs are behind the pedals case.
Original B3 pedals are a little bit narrower and radial, not parallel.
To make it narrower via woodwork seems far too much work for me. You can always sell it as it is to church organists, who want to play at home via computer and MIDI. There is a demand for midified church organ pedals.
Cheapest solution for you could be: Studiologic MP 117, and then exchange the wood parts of the pedals for some longer pieces (very easy). Range c to e is just sufficient for most things.
Your pedal is best if you want to learn church organ with pedal.

Genius! I'll try putting the stand between the pedals. Mine is a K&M stand as well, but it is not wide enough to fit over the pedals, but you're right it could probably go in the gap between some of the higher notes and fit that way. For a start I really just want to get it set up so I can play around with it for a bit and get a feel for what it's like to play pedals. I'm not sure if it is for me anyway - I've always been fascinated by organ bass, though.
funkylaundry

Postby tacitus » 30 Dec 2015, 14:39

The whole pedal thing is fraught with difficulty and inconsistency - don't forget we have both B3 and classical organs to emulate and both require their own approach. I posted some time ago that I thought Nord did a good job putting in the baroque organ as the typical baroque pedalboard is probably closer to the PedalKeys 27 than it would be on later organs. Having said that, my own village's organ is 'only' about 80 years old (in parts) and has a very restricted, straight-set board with an octave of notes just like a spinet organ.

Also, I've noticed that a setup of manual(s), pedals and stool can be perfectly acceptable in one situation but not another. I replicated the setup of our church organ to a fraction of an inch with my C2D and the Nord pedalboard, but while it feels fine in church, at home it just feels odd! So not only would I advise trying various configurations to see what works for you, but make sure it's on your kit, how and where you want to use it, not just on any old organ somewhere entirely different!
tacitus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum