Soft case with backpack straps for Stage2 88

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Soft case with backpack straps for Stage2 88

Post by Spider »

Hi guys, sorry if I bring up the subject for the n-th time, but I did search the forum and couldn't find this specific info.

I'm interested in a soft bag for my Stage2HA88.
I don't need it to be bomb-proof (Always move it myself, always in my car, always on local gigs, no flight or van) so a softcase it's enough. Up to now the Nord custom bag has been perfect, but...

...but I have to climb 3 floors of stairs to bring it in-out of the house. And of course all the rooms I rehearse in have stairs, too. I suppose I must have done something really bad in my previous life.
So the wheels are no good, while a backpack-style solution would be awesome.

I was wondering if there are decent soft bags with backpacks straps (NOT a single shoulder strap), that would hold the 20+ kilos of the Stage plus pedals and accessories.

I've been looking at the Pro-Go Gator line
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/111263-2285/g-pg-88slim
the specs state "Multi adjustable, removable backpack straps", but there's no sign of it in the pics.

Does anybody have direct experience with this model? Are the straps really "backpack" straps or just a single shoulder strap, and in your experience-opinion can they carry the weight of an 88-keys weighted board?

thanks everybody!
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Soft case with backpack straps for Stage2 88

Post by maxpiano »

These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
Spider
Bjosko
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by Bjosko »

Thomann has it, and if it dont fit, you can return it : http://www.thomann.de/dk/gator_g_pg_88_ ... 8_376453_0 ( switch to your own country/language).

My own experience with heavy keyboards as backpack has not been so good, I prefer wheels, but I completly agree, steps are a nightmare with a 88, so are the place it takes n a car.
One of my reasons to consider a 73 or 76 keys next time.
These users thanked the author Bjosko for the post:
Spider
/Bjørn
Spider

Post by Spider »

ooops :oops:
It looks like my searching skills need some improvement... thanks for the hint!
Last edited by Spider on 26 Dec 2015, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

Post by Spider »

Bjosko wrote:Thomann has it, and if it dont fit, you can return it : http://www.thomann.de/dk/gator_g_pg_88_ ... 8_376453_0 ( switch to your own country/language).

My own experience with heavy keyboards as backpack has not been so good, I prefer wheels, but I completly agree, steps are a nightmare with a 88, so are the place it takes n a car.
One of my reasons to consider a 73 or 76 keys next time.
yes, I can imagine carrying a heavy keyboard on your back is quite awkward, but surely less than dragging it up and down steps with one handle!
I've been considering the Stage2 EX 76 since it's been announced, for these portability issues.
But apart from the larger memory it would be a downgrade compared to the HA action, and I often need the whole 88 Keys for splits, so I'd really like to find a way to make the HA88 more portable.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

One hand plus the single shoulder strap is much better, when I owned the NS2 HA88 I used a Stefyline softbag of that kind and was OK for me (then I switched to the SW73 + lightweight HA digital piano as weighted master keyboard ;) )
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Dec 2015, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
Spider
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

:? It will have to be an extremely robust backpack, but also I think it will be difficult going down the stairs with that sort of length of kbd strapped on your back (not to mention the possibility of falling, getting hurt and on top breaking the kbd). Maybe a better idea is some luggage dolly or similar, or get a lighter instrument :) You will have also to plan how to get all that weight off your back on your own without smashing the whole thing.
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 27 Dec 2015, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

I agree with Mr-G also on the point about the risks of carrying such a long object on the shoulders; there is also another solution (and.. it is red) link(just an example)
Last edited by maxpiano on 27 Dec 2015, 09:14, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post (total 2):
Mr_-G-, Spider
Spider

Post by Spider »

maxpiano wrote:One hand plus the single shoulder strap is much better
Yes I agree, after checking out every possible brand I reached the same conclusion.
Almost all the bags for heavy 88-keys boards simply don't provide backpack straps, and the few that do... I don't trust them, they just don't look and feel strong enough.

So I went the single-shoulder-strap way. As an added benefit, replacing the heavy semi-rigid Nord bag with a simple soft bag saved 5-6 kilos, just about the same that I would save by replacing the 88HA with a lighter board.
So shoulder strap + lighter weight helps A LOT in lugging my red beast up and downstairs.

If anybody is interested, the bag I selected is this model from Ritter
http://www.thomann.de/it/ritter_rkp2_ke ... 30_brd.htm
it's the perfect size, waterproof, sturdily built, it has a HUGE front pocket (something that's essential for me as I use a lot of pedals ad accessories) and has a very good price-quality ratio. There are also some very good offerings from Rockbag, but they cost almost twice as much.

Thanks everybody for your advice!
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Glad that you found a good bag, although I would never carry it as a backpack.
That size seems to be too tight to me since the NS288 is 1285mm long. How easy is to put the instrument inside the bag with only 5mm tolerance?