Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: (Nord Lead 4) + (Nord Lead A1) = Amazing Combo !

Postby combathook » 29 Oct 2015, 19:10

A1. I don't like it for the "simple" interface, I like it for the improved sound engine.
combathook

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby S h a w » 29 Oct 2015, 21:38

:keyboard:

+1 combathook

Cheers!
S h a w

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby nekodensha » 22 Nov 2015, 02:21

Combathook, which features of the A1 sound engine did you find yourself preferring? I recently compared the A1 and Lead 4 in a music shop as I'm looking to buy one or the other, and in the limited time I had, I wasn't able to bring out a huge amount of difference in terms of sound. I preferred the control layout and morphing capabilities of the 4.

Both synths clearly have their merits, but I'm concerned by the few A1 buyers who said they felt limited by the A1's architecture; one referred to its "polite" sound character. OTOH, if the harshness of the 4's sound that so many complained about is inherent to the sound engine, and thus very difficult to tame, that could likewise be a deal breaker.

As you sold your 4 for an A1, I'm especially interested to hear which features tipped you in favour of the A1, as getting both is not an option for me. Thanks.
猫電車 / nekodensha
nekodensha

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby RedLeo » 22 Nov 2015, 11:37

nekodensha wrote:I recently compared the A1 and Lead 4 in a music shop as I'm looking to buy one or the other, and in the limited time I had, I wasn't able to bring out a huge amount of difference in terms of sound.

That's because they don't sound totally different from each other. People exaggerate the differences in sound between one and the other. In reality, they are both Nord Leads, and they both sound like Nord Leads. The differences are more of nuance than anything.

nekodensha wrote:if the harshness of the 4's sound that so many complained about is inherent to the sound engine, and thus very difficult to tame, that could likewise be a deal breaker.

I wouldn't worry about any reports saying the Lead 4 sounds harsh - because it doesn't. It can be made to sound harsh, as is the modern style, but somebody took a quick listen to a few harsh sounds and concluded - quite wrongly - that this was an inherent part of the sound. Unfortunately, this being the Internet and all, this has been repeated over and over by people who have never bothered to listen for themselves. The Lead 4 can sound as warm and analog as you like, no problem.
Last edited by RedLeo on 22 Nov 2015, 11:51, edited 2 times in total.

The author RedLeo was thanked by:
nekodensha
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby nekodensha » 22 Nov 2015, 12:49

Thanks RedLeo- I certainly didn't hear any of the inherent harshness in the Lead 4's sound that some have mentioned (apart from the characteristically crisp Nord Lead sound, which I'm after in any case). I won't get to spend any more time testing either synth before I decide which to buy. But if the Lead 4 is the more fundamentally versatile, then it's definitely the synth I'm after.
猫電車 / nekodensha
nekodensha

Postby mnmlst » 22 Nov 2015, 23:01

I am in the same boat as you... really conflicted about L4 vs A1. I have heard great demos of the L4, but I am intrigued by the easy of use the A1 offers... Id like to have a synth for quick programming (I have 2 Modular G2s and a Virus... and I spend too much time tweaking them). It might be nice to have a synth that just lets you dial in a sound and play.

That said I am afraid I'll feel limited on the A1. Really undecided, after listening to lots of demos and reading reviews.
mnmlst

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Quai34 » 23 Nov 2015, 08:47

Always undecided.....that's why I keep my Nord Leac 2X and followed advices on this forum.....and bought a DSI Prophet 08....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby combathook » 23 Nov 2015, 12:13

I agree, the 4 and the A1 have a nearly identical sound signature. Maybe 90% the same sounds. You probably wouldn't even notice for the first few weeks of playing, but there are some important differences for me. Basically it comes down to how robust the sound is. The thicker I tried to make the NL4 sound the more "gray" it became to my ears. Mixing oscillators, layering, detuning, etc. just didn't sound how I imagined it should sound. There was a brittleness to certain parameter settings. Also, the (so-called) wavetables have been enhanced on the A1 so you can make more textured electro piano sounds and proper vocal formants like the Roland VP-330. The oscillator shaping function is also essential for creating rich, evolving pads.

But on the other hand it's true that the A1 is very limited. There are many times when you're building a sound that you have to stop and admit that what you're trying is just impossible. You'll notice the missing LFO and filter envelope very quickly! In the end though it's another strength of the A1 for me. It's exciting to finally get a new synthesizer that doesn't behave how you expect it to, or doesn't allow you to simply rely on your knowledge of other synthesizers. Besides, I probably have five other synths that have a traditional subtractive architecture and I can still use them any time I want.

If it's your first or only synth you might be frustrated with the limitations, but if you're looking for something fun to play around with that sounds great I'd definitely recommend the A1.

Oh, I should also mention that the NL4 is much better for FX and modular-esque experimental sounds. Put it in mono mode with hold enabled and you can play for hours. Really crazy sounds. I definitely miss it for that.

The author combathook was thanked by 2 members, including:
nekodenshaRedLeo
combathook

Postby nekodensha » 26 Nov 2015, 05:15

Thanks Combathook. I opted for the Nord Lead 4R before I could read your response, but you've totally confirmed my thoughts about what the basic strengths of the Lead 4 are. I think it'll suit the kind of music I'm making (and how I make it) just a little better than the A1.

I need a synth that'll give me more room to experiment, make mistakes and learn with. My only other synth is an additive (that generates gigantic, lush, unfolding pads) and I don't want loads of gear. (I definitely don't want a proper modular- too much of a good thing. I'd end up noodling around for hours and hours instead of building tracks). The Lead 4 seems to be in my Goldilocks zone- for me, that's good enough.

The only thing that made it difficult for me to decide is that the A1 is a great synth, and that's kind of obscured how good the other Leads are. But the Lead 4 and the A1 aren't worlds apart, and they're both well made synths that sound really good. So to those folks trying to decide: I feel your pain, but if you can't get both synths and you can't decide (and you can't do a detailed evaluation of both) there's no need to worry about it too much as there really is no bad choice. It's just a matter of working out which features you really need, and which you can do without.
Last edited by nekodensha on 26 Nov 2015, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
猫電車 / nekodensha
nekodensha

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum