Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Recording/playback issues (ND2/Rob Papen's Punch/Cubase 5)

Postby clumsypatch » 23 Nov 2015, 18:20

Whilst trying to workaround some issues i had setting up my Nord Drum 2 for use with Cubase 5, i encountered a whole new and strange issue, which i would appreciate some help with...

After trying to setup my ND2 as a MIDI Device in Cubase 5 and failing (...different story!) I did finally manage to plug in my ND2/Nord Pad and get it to trigger sounds on a VST Instrument Track, using Rob Papen's Punch.

I thought this was quite a breakthrough, as i love the multitude of sounds that you can get using Punch, so recording using this setup would probably suit my current requirements just fine.

Having worked out a beat that sounded great during live playback, the next logical step for me was to record it... However, as soon as i pressed record in Cubase, things changed dramatically... Wheras before, each hit on the pad instantly triggered a sound from Punch, now (during recording) the same hit would sometimes trigger a sound, and sometimes it would not!

I thought this was strange, but what was even weirder was that every single hit on the pad did actually record as MIDI data. The problem was, the exact same issues still occured when i played the recording back!!

I have been racking my brains trying to figure out what the problem is here, but so far it has eluded me...

I have my suspicions that the problem lies with Rob Papen's Punch somehow, as i can actually get the recorded MIDI data to play properly if i drag it onto a VST Intrument track that uses Groove Agent One, for example. Still, i really would like to be able to use Punch, as the sounds it offers are far superior to those in Groove Agent One.

OK, so I hope that describes my issue well enough... any help or advise would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance:)
Patch
clumsypatch

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Recording/playback issues (ND2/Rob Papen's Punch/Cubase 5)

Sponsor

Re: Recording/playback issues (ND2/Rob Papen's Punch/Cubase

Postby wartaler » 24 Nov 2015, 20:04

Hi Patch!

You're using your ND2 mainly as an input device, and I think you set it up correctly. I think you're right in that it probably has to do with the VSTi, perhaps in combination with C5, so maybe you should check the Steinberg forum, and/or contact Rob Rapen thru their site ..
Nice setup!

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 24 Nov 2015, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodonclumsypatch
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: Recording/playback issues (ND2/Rob Papen's Punch/Cubase

Postby clumsypatch » 25 Nov 2015, 14:09

Hey Albert,

Thanks for your reply... I agree with you about the setup, and what i could do next, i.e joining the Steinberg forum. Unfortunately so far i have got stuck in the 'activation' stage of joining their forum... frustrating!

Yeah, i guess it's a fairly specific problem i'm having so i just need to be patient and find that right person to help:)

Thanks for your interest and support though - much appreciated,
Patch
clumsypatch

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum