Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: Roland versus Yamaha

Postby AinTziLLo » 20 Oct 2015, 12:04

I think the Roland Boutique line is a step above the Yamaha Reface line; I have not tried either, but reading the technical specifications, Roland Boutique inspires me a bit more. It 's really a shame that the online Boutique does not have an external power supply (if not USB)...
My setup:
Korg SV1 BK73 - Numa Organ 2 - Nord Lead A1 - Novation Bass Station II - Ibanez SR1005EFN - Armon P300 - FBT ProMaxx 12A - Proel Tube100USB - Ibanez SB7 & AP7 - Boutique Overdrive & Crunch - Reference Laboratory cables
AinTziLLo
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby Frantz » 20 Oct 2015, 12:11

One good point is that the rack still got bend and modulation.
so it complement a NE5 (sample synth works with midi received mod and pitch bend).
The "jupiter" boutique sound did not convinced me in the videos, have to try one for real.
2 of them takes double space, too bad :)
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Frantz » 20 Oct 2015, 12:14

btw, my hands on the reface DX was a "correct" experience (not a game changer, no buy decision), the sound was ok and the keybed not too bad for a mini.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby nordboard » 21 Oct 2015, 13:18

RedLeo wrote:
nordboard wrote:Yeah, but then you have to buy 2!

That's still less than £600. Hardly something to complain about.

nordboard wrote:4 voice polyphony is poor in this day and age and it's the only thing that is stopping me from getting the JX03 at the moment - used to own and love a JX3P so would love the new one, despite the mini keys lol

Again, you can polychain 2 for 8-voice polyphony. They have a full set of front-panel controls (unlike the original), they have additional programming features, full metal construction, and they're about the size of a book. If you think about it for a while, you may realise there's really not much to complain about here.

The keys are an optional extra, so you don't even have to deal with that if you don't want to.

Seriously, these are not toys, they're good quality, well thought out pieces of kit. I wouldn't turn your nose up at them.

I am fully aware that you can chain them, I just don't think it should have been necessary. It's not the cost so much as an extra box, with extra cables and extra batteries, etc. I just think that in 21stC, a 4 voice synth is poor. The original JX3P had 6 and that was in 1982.

From what I have seen online they look the biz, except that I am a reasonably good semi pro musician, for whom 4 notes at a time isn't enough.

I'll almost certainly still get one though, mainly just to relive the glory days of my old JX lol
Nord Stage 2 Ex Compact, Roland FA06, Roland JX03, Yamaha Motif XS7
nordboard
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby RedLeo » 21 Oct 2015, 14:24

nordboard wrote: I am a reasonably good semi pro musician, for whom 4 notes at a time isn't enough.

Alas, keyboard players are no longer the target market. The fact that the keyboard is optional is a pretty good clue here... ;)

nordboard wrote:I'll almost certainly still get one though, mainly just to relive the glory days of my old JX lol

At the asking price, I think pretty much everyone is going to take a chance and try out at least one.

The JX-3P was a very under-rated synth. Lots more flexible than the Junos, and a completely different sound, much lighter and airier. Lovely smooth light string pads, always sounded great in a mix without taking up too much space.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby magpie85 » 21 Oct 2015, 15:09

RedLeo wrote:
At the asking price, I think pretty much everyone is going to take a chance and try out at least one.

In which case I'll let you buy me one. My spare £299 is going towards my next Nord...
Nord Electro 3HP... dreaming of a Stage :keyboard2:
magpie85

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby RedLeo » 21 Oct 2015, 21:55

magpie85 wrote:In which case I'll let you buy me one.

You do know I'm Scottish, right?
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby anotherscott » 27 Oct 2015, 19:51

RedLeo wrote:I think that Roland would be wise to introduce a power adapter to encourage sales for live use. Even if Roland don't, I think third-party adapters may start appearing. Batteries, even rechargeable ones, are not a good solution for long-term use.

It can be powered via USB... so I think that something like this might do the trick...
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12890
anotherscott

Postby RedLeo » 28 Oct 2015, 01:21

anotherscott wrote:It can be powered via USB... so I think that something like this might do the trick...
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12890

That looks just the job. I haven't seen these before, but that will make live use a whole lot more practical.

On the other hand, DSI have just released the Prophet-6 module.

Decisions, decisions...(it's a hard life)!
Last edited by RedLeo on 28 Oct 2015, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby analogika » 28 Oct 2015, 12:25

RedLeo wrote:
NoDirection wrote:That you can buy the Jupiter 8 module separate, and not the stupid "mini-keys" makes it even more interesting. A midi cable to my Electro 5D and I have a decent synth when needed.

I think that Roland would be wise to introduce a power adapter to encourage sales for live use. Even if Roland don't, I think third-party adapters may start appearing. Batteries, even rechargeable ones, are not a good solution for long-term use.

Omitting a power socket on the Reface kind of makes sense given their intended target market, but the Boutiques are clearly designed for professional use. I think it's a decision Roland may regret.

It's bog-standard 500mA USB power. Any generic USB power supply, including hundreds of millions of iPod and iPhone power supplies already out there, will work.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
RedLeo
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum