Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

HELP Piano 2 Reverb PROBLEM

Postby chopin_guy » 13 Nov 2014, 02:39

In doing sound check for a gig I am about to play tonight -- I am having significant problems with the reverb on my new piano 2.

I though I was getting some weird interference in my in-ears and finally narrowed it down to myself in the mix:

Specifically the use of any of the reverbs is causing very strange clicking / electrical static sounding noise. This is regardless of if I'm applying it to piano or synth sections....

Any help would be appreciated...
chopin_guy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

HELP Piano 2 Reverb PROBLEM

Sponsor

Re: HELP Piano 2 Reverb PROBLEM

Postby pablomastodon » 13 Nov 2014, 06:21

Hi chopin_guy,

Sorry that I'm seeing this late...no doubt you're playing by now. This is a curious report and I'm not sure what to think right now, but hopefully with a little investigation we'll figure it out. Please link up with me via my regular work contacts as shown below.

For the forum: please stay tuned for further posts with results of what is learned.

Bless,

Pablo Mastodon
Nord Technical Support USA/Canada
pablo.mastodon@AmericanMusicandSound.com
(800) 994-4984 x3030 USA
(800) 431-2609 x3030 Canada
Last edited by pablomastodon on 09 Feb 2016, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby stiiiiiiive » 13 Nov 2014, 11:25

Probalby useless, but anyway: I heard similar problem on a G2. When using reverb or delay modules, crackling could appear on the top on the sound (no sound led to no craclkes). Depending on which DSP was involved in the effect calculation, it was audible or not.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on 28 Sep 2015, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby chopin_guy » 13 Nov 2014, 16:30

Yeah -- not sure what to make of it. Even after several power cycles it happened every time.

What's concerning for me is it happened with every one of the reverb models, and got worse (to the point of sounding like white noise) when increasing the level of send to the reverb -- and this was happening if applying to either the piano or synth section.

I've reached out to Pablo and am hoping to get some resolution with this...
chopin_guy

Postby chopin_guy » 22 Dec 2014, 23:32

Just to give an update on this issue:

1) I tested the keyboard daily at home after the gig in November to see if it would happen again -- which I was unable to replicate.

2) Fast forward to our December evening, and the board made it through the evening luckily -- though it did manifest the issue a couple times during sound check.

3) Got the board home after being in it's case for a couple weeks -- set it up, and it's now doing it again.

So it looks as if it's going to have to be shipped back to Sweetwater for repair.

Needless to say I am very disappointed in shelling out the money for a Nord product at the moment. I've owned Roland and Kurzweil boards for two decades with ZERO issues. My NP2 was puchased 5 months ago, shipped to me, and has been gigged 4 times. Otherwise it sits for weeks at a time unused on its stand, as I have a grand at home for practice.

Shall see what's to come...
chopin_guy

Postby chopin_guy » 09 Jan 2015, 03:08

I've uplaoded a demo of the problem I'm having with the NP2 -- guess it's going to have to go back to Sweetwater for service as the problem has persisted. There's no rhyme or reason to what triggers it. I had the board on for 16 hours yesterday while home and sat down a dozen times to test it, and it didn't do anything even once. Turned it on to test again when I get home today, and it's doing it again.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate your thoughts. But at the moment still very disappointed with my move to Nord boards...

https://soundcloud.com/chopinlife/nord-piano-2-problem
chopin_guy

Postby davefawbert » 28 Sep 2015, 22:32

Hello there,

My new Piano 2 HP has just arrived, straight out of the box and I'm having exactly this problem - did anyone ever get to the bottom of it? Reverb unit is making a complete racket of crackling & interference - irrespective of the sound being used...

Any ideas?....
davefawbert

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum