Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Record with the Nord drum 2 & Nord Pad

Postby Turbulz » 09 Sep 2015, 04:50

Hello,

I've had the Nord drum 2 and Nord Pad for quite some time now. But I am a drummer and am really not used to record with MIDI, this is a complete new world for me. I've been losing alot of time trying to figure out how to properly record my Nord Drum in Cubase 7 Elements. Even though I read through the manual of the Nord Drum2, it confuses me instead of clarifying the matter.

I wish someone could help me and share how he/she records it and how I should proceed. Is it possible to record on 6 different channels? I have an audio interface which is the Audio Kontrol 1. I would like to record using the pad.

If you can refer me to any tutorial which would help me that would also be really kind.

Thanks.
Turbulz

Record with the Nord drum 2 & Nord Pad

Sponsor

Re: Record with the Nord drum 2 & Nord Pad

Postby wartaler » 09 Sep 2015, 21:41

Hi Turbulz!

Connect both MIDI in and out of your ND2 to the output and input of your interface respectively
In Cubase create a MIDI track with the correct ports of your MIDI interface selected..
Make sure the MIDI channel of your track in Cubase matches the global channel set on the ND2*
Select the track and arm recording (red circle) and engage monitoring (little speaker)
some basic Cubase stuff in this video: http://youtu.be/OaUQqNhPcZU

*on the ND2 go to the MIDI menu, press [SHIFT]+[MIDI] once, or a couple of times, until you see GL.XX (where XX= the global MIDI channel the ND2 sends and receives on, a value between 1 and 16, which can be set with the knob)
The MIDI channel here should match with the channel set in Cubase in the track settings

The notes you play on the Pad will be transmitted via MIDI to your computer, and Cubase should be able to record these notes. Cubase will also directly send the notes back to the ND2, so that you will hear what you're playing. To avoid double triggering problems, set 'local off' on your ND2 - this will internally disconnect the Pad from the ND2 sounds.
press [SHIFT]+[MIDI] until you see 'Lo.On' - rotate the knob and set it to 'Lo.OF'

You should be able to see incoming MIDI messages in Cubase whenever you hit a Pad, and also hear what you're doing.
If so... just hit the record button and ... rock!

Just remember to switch local back on after your session, and the ND2 is no longer connected to your computer and Cubase .. 'Lo.On'

Hope this helps..
Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 09 Sep 2015, 23:15, edited 6 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
Turbulz
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Turbulz » 09 Sep 2015, 22:54

Hello Albert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain these steps. I will try to get it to work after my work tonight!

Marc
Turbulz

Postby Turbulz » 10 Sep 2015, 05:33

Hello Albert,

I followed your steps and after trying for several hours, my MIDI is well connected and I can see the signal being recorded in Cubase. I can hear myself playing with my headphones connected to the interface (but not anymore if I switch to Lo.OF).
The problem is, on the playback, it's like nothing has been recorded... If I switch to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, it is playing and recording and the playback works (I can hear it).

I have chosen a MIDI channel of my track in Cubase and it matches the global channel set on the ND2 just like you explained.

Do you have any idea? I could send you printscreens or a video if needed.

Thanks again, I really appreciate!

Marc
Turbulz

Return to Nord Drum Forum