Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Earliest generation iPad for Nord Beat 2

Postby incircles » 02 Aug 2015, 22:21

I just ordered a Nord Drum 2. I don't have an iPad, and even if I did, I'd probably want a dedicated one running Nord Beat 2. Could I get by with a $200 iPad 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC769LL-Tab ... generation)?
incircles

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Earliest generation iPad for Nord Beat 2

Sponsor

Re: Earliest generation iPad for Nord Beat 2

Postby wartaler » 03 Aug 2015, 07:35

Hi!
Nord beat 2 is compatible with iOS 5.1 or higher, so it's effectively compatible with all iPad generations.
I wouldn't buy an iPad1 because you cannot update beyond iOS 5.1 - you can't even use the default YouTube app anymore for example, but Nord beat 2 works fine on an iPad1.. An ipad2 is a better option in general
Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby pablomastodon » 03 Aug 2015, 07:41

2nd gen iPad works for me.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jooga1972 » 03 Aug 2015, 11:15

At this time the Nord Beat app works fine on any iPad. However, if the much anticipated update happens later this year (fixing the now admitted bpm glitch), some limitations. like no more iOS 5.1 support and such may occur. I don't have any info on this, am just thinking aloud. But in any case, if I were you incircles, I'd grab an iPad Mini 2, the WiFi-only/16 GB version comes new at as low as US$ 250 on ebay.com, used pieces can be had for 100-150 $, but your $200 range seems feasible.
I have the same model (mine has cellular network as well...), it is powerful, can handle several music apps simultaneously, compact but still has a large enough display for working with 'touch' apps. Until last March when I finally decided to buy an iPad, I was one of those guys who'd kept saying the iPad is nothing but the part of the Apple-hype, Today, I stand corrected and can say that the iPad is deeply integrated in my hybrid digital-analog music-making rig.
jooga1972

Postby skintechnician » 04 Aug 2015, 22:11

Hello,

One minor consideration is the type of midi converter you plan on using to connect the Nord Drum 2 to the ipad. I use an irig midi 2 converter (around $90) that includes a lightening adapter however since I originally had an ipad2 I had to purchase a 30-pin adapter (for an additional $30). My point is that you may want to buy a newer ipad with a lightening port so you don't have to spend extra money on a 30-pin adapter. (Irig2 also requires a standard midi cable.)

Cheers,
Nate

P.S. @incircles I now have an ipad air 2 and no longer need the 30-pin adapter. If you end up buying a 30-pin ipad along with irig2 and need the adapter PM me and I'll send it to you!
Last edited by skintechnician on 04 Aug 2015, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
skintechnician

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby incircles » 07 Aug 2015, 23:40

skintechnician wrote:Hello,

One minor consideration is the type of midi converter you plan on using to connect the Nord Drum 2 to the ipad. I use an irig midi 2 converter (around $90) that includes a lightening adapter however since I originally had an ipad2 I had to purchase a 30-pin adapter (for an additional $30). My point is that you may want to buy a newer ipad with a lightening port so you don't have to spend extra money on a 30-pin adapter. (Irig2 also requires a standard midi cable.)

Cheers,
Nate

P.S. @incircles I now have an ipad air 2 and no longer need the 30-pin adapter. If you end up buying a 30-pin ipad along with irig2 and need the adapter PM me and I'll send it to you!

I actually have a 30-pin irig :) so I'm currently using the opposite adapater on my phone. But I appreciate it!
incircles

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby wartaler » 17 Jul 2018, 19:19

Yes, true,
this thread was started a couple of years ago, in the meantime, the Nord Beat 2 app has been replaced by Nord Beat 3, which requires iOS9 or newer, and therefore excludes (only) the iPad1.
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum