Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: I defected to the A1 camp...

Postby Muziksculp » 30 Jul 2015, 08:08

And ... Here is my Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08 & Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 System :

Dave Smith Prophet 08

Sequential Circuits Prophet 6

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Last edited by Muziksculp on 30 Jul 2015, 08:10, edited 2 times in total.

The author Muziksculp was thanked by 3 members, including:
combathookpablomastodonMarlowes
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby Muziksculp » 30 Jul 2015, 08:17

I have more toys in the studio, but this kind of give you an idea of my general strategy, and approach, and how I visualize my studio gear, and put them to serve my production needs. i.e. System A, System B, System C , System D, etc ... Which Converge into one Large Integrated System, I call my Electronic Orchestra !

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Last edited by Muziksculp on 30 Jul 2015, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Muziksculp

Postby Quai34 » 30 Jul 2015, 09:02

Hi Muziksculp,
I like your idea of having different synth orchetra around a brand, then, because you have them all, at least the red ones, I will ask you a quastion.
Why no moog?, also, I have a stage 2, a NL2X, a D50 roland, a TX802 yamaha, an Emu Proteus 2000, an Oberheim matrix 1000 and a Roland XV5080. I added recently (February..) a DSI Prophet 08 after hesitating a lot and being close to switch to the Prophet 6 but didn't want to wait for its release....then, why having a P8 AND a P6? how they compliment each other?
Last thing, if you were me, and wanting to buy only one Synth to complement mine current rig, would you buy a NL3, a Wave, a Moog Sub Phatty 37 or a P6?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby combathook » 30 Jul 2015, 17:02

Nice. :thumbup:

I love seeing pictures of home studios. That's a good point about settling in with one interface. I think one reason I like the A1 so much is not just the amazing sounds its capable of making, but how easy it is to get around the board. Honestly, I rarely even save my patches because it's almost easier just to turn it on and twist a few knobs to get back where I was. This is also why I like the Moog Voyager, even if I'm not crazy about the sound.

And congratulations on the Prophet 6! I sat down with one at a music shop last weekend and was really taken by the form factor and design of it. The panel is slightly bluish gray, is it not? It really catches the eye and invites you to sit down and get to work. I also like how easy it is to initialize a patch (<-- This is so important!! Why don't more manufacturers think about this? Clavia knows what's up.)
combathook

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Postby combathook » 30 Jul 2015, 17:09

While we're doing show-and-tell, here's what I snagged earlier this year.

combathook

Postby combathook » 30 Jul 2015, 19:21

-Shaw wrote:But the NL3, NL4 and NLA1 all (to my ears) have different sonic characters while still retaining their "Nordishness".

True enough. Now that I think about it, I'd probably pick up a Wave if I could find one at a good price. Same goes for the G2 keyboard, though I haven't seen one of those for many, many moons.
combathook

Postby S h a w » 30 Jul 2015, 23:06

combathook wrote:
True enough. Now that I think about it, I'd probably pick up a Wave if I could find one at a good price. Same goes for the G2 keyboard, though I haven't seen one of those for many, many moons.

Yes... I'd say the Wave definitely has its own character too. And the G2 as well. I had one of those years ago -- loved it. Only sold it because I moved from overseas.

There is a G2 keyboard on eBay right now -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/321816690418?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
But I think he is expecting too much for it. Also, I think Pablo may have one for sale... you might want to PM him.

Cheers!
S h a w

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Muziksculp » 30 Jul 2015, 23:45

Quai34 wrote:Hi Muziksculp,
I like your idea of having different synth orchetra around a brand, then, because you have them all, at least the red ones, I will ask you a quastion.
Why no moog?, also, I have a stage 2, a NL2X, a D50 roland, a TX802 yamaha, an Emu Proteus 2000, an Oberheim matrix 1000 and a Roland XV5080. I added recently (February..) a DSI Prophet 08 after hesitating a lot and being close to switch to the Prophet 6 but didn't want to wait for its release....then, why having a P8 AND a P6? how they compliment each other?
Last thing, if you were me, and wanting to buy only one Synth to complement mine current rig, would you buy a NL3, a Wave, a Moog Sub Phatty 37 or a P6?

Hi Quai34,

Yes, surely, MOOG is a must have :)

Here is a pic of my MOOG Little Phatty Stage II with CV Inputs. (Sweetwater Limited Edition Orange model )

As far as if the Prophet 6 and Prophet 8 complement each other, the answer is, imho. Yes, they do complement each other, each has its own sonic character, and synthesis strength. The Prophet 6 was a bit of a nostalgic buy for me, mainly because I used to own the Prophet 5 in the early 80's , So I was super excited to see Dave Smith decide to make a modern version of the P5, and add some more features to it, yet keep the design as simple, and immediate to use as possible, and have the Sequential Circuits brand name, just like the P5. So.. Yes, I love both my Prophets 8 & 6 , both are awesome sounding analog synths.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Last edited by Muziksculp on 30 Jul 2015, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Muziksculp

Postby Quai34 » 31 Jul 2015, 01:36

Ok, I undestand the P5 nostalgia, I have never owned any P5 but was lurking at it when I was 15....craving at it might be a better word...so, even if both Prophet compliment each other, because I don't have any Moog, your advice will be a Nogg and for what I've seen in term of features, the sub Phatty 37 right?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby S h a w » 31 Jul 2015, 02:12

Quai34 wrote:Ok, I undestand the P5 nostalgia, I have never owned any P5 but was lurking at it when I was 15....craving at it might be a better word...so, even if both Prophet compliment each other, because I don't have any Moog, your advice will be a Nogg and for what I've seen in term of features, the sub Phatty 37 right?

Hey Quai... :idea: You might want to give the Sub 37 a side by side listen with a Slim/Little Phatty, Minitaur or Voyager. :idea: I've read (and spoken to) lots of folks who feel the Sub 37 doesn't have the same fatness/bottom-end as the other staples of the MOOG line-up (Slim/Little Phatty, Minitaur or Voyager). I had a Sub 37 at one time, and I must say I was disappointed at the SOUND -- the modulation was superb. :!: I sold it. :wtf: I still have a Slim Phatty and Minitaur (love them -- especially the Minitaur). But I primarily use my MOOGs for -- wait for it -- fat ass basses. :thumbup: If you're doing techno, house, Dub or what-not, you may love the Sub-37.

Anyway, my point was... do yourself a favor and listen to it side by side with a Minitaur or a Little/Slim Phatty (or Voyager if you're looking to really spend some money).

Cheers

The author S h a w was thanked by:
Quai34
S h a w

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum