Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: XLR cable question

Postby Johannes » 16 Aug 2011, 21:33

snerkler wrote:The prolinear 720 only have an XLR input, there's no jack input unless it's hidden.

Doesn't look the panel like this (from the manual)?
combo input.png
combo input.png (60.97 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

It should be a combo input where you can also plugin a 1/4 inch Mono Jack, try it! I think it is the old version you are referring to, if not, sorry!
Those combo XLR/TRS inputs look like XLR inputs but ALSO take a standard Jack plug (I remember the first time I saw one of those I thought, genius engineering to fit both connectors in one plug!!)
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby snerkler » 16 Aug 2011, 21:59

Johannes wrote:
snerkler wrote:The prolinear 720 only have an XLR input, there's no jack input unless it's hidden.

Doesn't look the panel like this (from the manual)?
combo input.png

It should be a combo input where you can also plugin a 1/4 inch Mono Jack, try it! I think it is the old version you are referring to, if not, sorry!
Those combo XLR/TRS inputs look like XLR inputs but ALSO take a standard Jack plug (I remember the first time I saw one of those I thought, genius engineering to fit both connectors in one plug!!)

Oh right, I didn't realise the jack plug was in the centre of the XLR, that's clever. I was looking for a separate input.
Exactly what difference would I notice in using a mono jack to jack in terms of sound quality, and would the sound only be in mono, or would it still be in stereo due to the dual output from the NP? If it's mono how would this differ from using the mono setting on the NP? And lastly regardless of whether mono or stereo there's still the definite 'sweet spot' with nearfield monitors isn't there?
Did I mention I'm very sensitive to sounds lol :shifty:

P.S. Sorry for all the questions, new equipment brings new 'problems' ;) FYI I don't have any issues listening through headphones
Last edited by snerkler on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
snerkler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Postby Frantz » 17 Aug 2011, 11:20

:thumbup: Well done Johannes for insisting on the "combo" :clap:
Last edited by Frantz on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Johannes » 17 Aug 2011, 14:27

The combo rules! Actually, I really hope that it gets the norm when it comes to offering both types of connections in the future! Probably, reight now there are still licensing fees to be paid to the clever guy who invented them...
@snerkler: I would not expect a (big) difference in using Jacks or XLR. But indeed you have to look for the Sweet Spot! And I would definitively not use the MONO button but connect the Nord Piano stereo (one out to each of your monitors) and get them setup in a way you're right in the middle! Piano sounds just so much better in stereo (for the player!!)!!
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby snerkler » 17 Aug 2011, 22:22

Got mono jacks and I do think it sounds better. Moved the monitors around and have found a position I'm happy with, and that doesn't separate the two ends of the keyboard too much. Thanks for all the advice :thumbup:
Last edited by snerkler on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
snerkler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum