The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: C2D Treble/sudden volume change

Postby Mooser » 29 Oct 2012, 22:01

2xbassist: I have an Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal. When used as an analog pedal (in between the organ output and amp input) it graduates volume pretty smoothly, with a tiny bit of static, if the pedal motion is very fast. This same pedal, when used in the "swell pedal" control circuit of my C2, makes the organ go nuts. The slight wear in the pot, which causes only a minimal amount of static, sends the control circuit into a tizzy. I would have thought it would be the opposite, and the volume pedal control circuit would be damped slightly to avoid this problem, but I would be wrong.

So there it is, in my experience, a pedal which worked well enough for an analog control, but failed in the digital volume control circuit. It may be that even the slightest intermittence in this circuit makes for bad performance.
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Sponsor

Postby orgedraaier » 09 Jul 2015, 20:40

Some volumepedals like the Ernie Ball use logarithmic-reponses instead of linear. For that reason you can change the way the Nord C2 should understand the values coming in by selecting it on the Nord. If you select another response-curve, the pedal will not repond, or a little, or in steps or too abrupt.
orgedraaier

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Jul 2015, 21:59

In steps? Are you sure? Which pedal uses a stepped resistance potentiometer??
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Emile » 18 Jul 2015, 19:32

Mr_-G- wrote:In steps? Are you sure? Which pedal uses a stepped resistance potentiometer??

Well, it can happen if the volume levels are interpreted at the C2-side as an amount of steps and it is translating/mapping the resistance to an amplification-factor.

If the potentiometer has as a very non-linear response with a funny offset (starting-resistance, at some pedals you can adjust this) it can take some pedal-movement before reaching the next level, depending on selected setting. So it's about the combination of the resistance-curve of the pedal and the interpretation/translation/use of that curve by the C2.

But this all theory of course.
Last edited by Emile on 18 Jul 2015, 19:34, edited 4 times in total.
Emile

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum