Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

where are you pablo?

Postby jerry moffit » 03 Jul 2015, 22:02

one key on my nord 2 piano quit working
someone replied that it was most likely a dirt issue and told me you could help
i found out last night at a gig how much i like that note
i am 3 hours from a repair service and would prefer to do it myself, but i don't know how to safely open the unit
help??
jerry moffit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

where are you pablo?

Sponsor

Re: where are you pablo?

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Jul 2015, 06:01

Hi Jerry,

Yes, it's dirt, but handling that operation on an HA action is no walk in the park...people without significant tech skills and experience are advised to seek pro help, even if this means spending money on packing and shipping, ESPECIALLY if it is still under warranty.

i have familial holiday obligations tomorrow, but we can figure something out -- please reach me via regular work contacts (which i think you've already done). We'll talk tomorrow...

bless,

pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jerry moffit » 04 Jul 2015, 07:39

you are highly respected
the first reply i got on this forum basically said "dirt - ask pablo"
thanks
i think i've found a keyboard tech in medford oregon
he should probably clean the whole unit?
and i should take more protective measures?
jerry moffit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Jul 2015, 16:31

Hi Jerry,

he should probably clean the whole unit?

There are two aspects to this: 1) specific targeted cleaning of the note with the problem, and 2) general cleaning. With regard to 1), this needs to occur inside the key contact mechanism for that note. For other notes which do not have this problem, it will be preferred to NOT clean them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Attempting to do so may actually backfire. With regard to 2), generally cleaning the insides of the Nord will be probably a good idea, depending on the general internal condition of the instrument. Anything and everything which evers falls through the cracks between the keys will become a potential source for future problems. The cleaner the insides are, the less likely that this issue will repeat.

and i should take more protective measures?

Dust cover can be a good idea, but it may be helpful to know that this dirt infiltration issue is the Achilles' Heel of this type of key contact design. This issue is BY FAR the most common affliction suffered by Nord instruments. I've seen folks whose Nords reside in studio spaces which maintain cleanliness levels that approach that of a surgical suite have this problem. I've also seen folks whose instruments, when opened, appear to have been using them as ashtrays for a decade and not have this problem. There can sometimes be an element of Murphy's Law at work here. Best practice will be to take such protective measures as can be conveniently taken without obsessing over it too much.

Bless,

Pablo

P.S. -- Very good that you have a local tech to assist with this, most especially on HA keybeds, which are much more difficult to work on. Note that because this is really a Fatar problem (which Nord inherits by installing Fatar keybeds into their instruments). Because the Fatar design is very common to most keyboards out there today, most all keyboard techs will be perfectly comfortable with handling this job, even if they've never worked on Nord before. The only significant issue they might have will be to know how best to open the chassis on the Nord. Anyone needing advice on this subject is encouraged to contact me (or anyone else who already knows that road) BEFORE attempting the job.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Marlowes
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum