Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Balance question

Postby snerkler » 15 Aug 2011, 10:42

I've noticed that the top half of the keyboard is heard more through the right speaker than the left, and the bottom half of the keyboard more through the left than the right. It's fairly subtle, but I have noticed it. It's definately not the way my ears pick up the sound either because if I swap the left and right outputs over it reverses it. It's probably a touch more apparent when using headphones, but is still apparent when using monitors. Is this normal? (it's been many many years since I played on an acoustic piano and so I don't know if you would also get this on the acoustics due to the position of the strings?). Just wanting to make sure I don't have a faulty product :thumbup:
Cheers
Last edited by snerkler on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
snerkler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Balance question

Sponsor

Re: Balance question

Postby Hanon_CTS » 15 Aug 2011, 13:46

Hello snerkler,
The fading of the treble end progressively towards the right, and bass end to left is an industry standard.
This is intended to mimic the way a real grand is strung, and sounds when you are seated in front of the middle octave.
The product isn't faulty.
Cheers, hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby snerkler » 15 Aug 2011, 14:09

Hanon_CTS wrote:Hello snerkler,
The fading of the treble end progressively towards the right, and bass end to left is an industry standard.
This is intended to mimic the way a real grand is strung, and sounds when you are seated in front of the middle octave.
Cheers, hanon

How did I know that it was going to be you who responded :thumbup: You've been very helpful since I've bought my NP88, thanks a lot :thanks: Good to know my piano is fine. I LOVE this piano :mrgreen:
snerkler

Postby Hanon_CTS » 15 Aug 2011, 14:14

snerkler wrote:
Hanon_CTS wrote:Hello snerkler,
Cheers, hanon

How did I know that it was going to be you who responded :thumbup: You've been very helpful since I've bought my NP88, thanks a lot :thanks: Good to know my piano is fine. I LOVE this piano :mrgreen:

I'm sorry that I couldn't chime in on your program organization question, but I didn't have any useful information.
Cheers, hanon
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Postby snerkler » 15 Aug 2011, 15:21

Hanon_CTS wrote:I'm sorry that I couldn't chime in on your program organization question, but I didn't have any useful information.
Cheers, hanon

No problem, you've been extremely helpful as I said. I think I may have figured out a (not so great) work around. I'm just going to organise the banks/programs so that my favourite 5 settings are in bank 1 of each of the 5 program buttons. That way I can swap between those 5 and still maintain the same piano sound.
snerkler

Postby Hanon_CTS » 15 Aug 2011, 15:41

snerkler wrote:
Hanon_CTS wrote:I'm sorry that I couldn't chime in on your program organization question, but I didn't have any useful information.
Cheers, hanon

No problem, you've been extremely helpful as I said. I think I may have figured out a (not so great) work around. I'm just going to organise the banks/programs so that my favourite 5 settings are in bank 1 of each of the 5 program buttons. That way I can swap between those 5 and still maintain the same piano sound.

Sounds like a good work around.
"The Optimist views a limitation as a challenge to be overcome"
Are you using the Nord Sound Manager software to re-organize the programs?
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Postby snerkler » 15 Aug 2011, 18:24

Hanon_CTS wrote:
snerkler wrote:
Cheers, hanon

Sounds like a good work around.
"The Optimist views a limitation as a challenge to be overcome"
Are you using the Nord Sound Manager software to re-organize the programs?

Yes, I don't know how else to organise them.
snerkler

Postby Hanon_CTS » 15 Aug 2011, 18:30

Back in the old days "prior to great software tools like NSM"
I would have sacrificed two programs and used those as bounce locations.
Thank goodness for technology!
Cheers,Hanon
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Postby snerkler » 16 Aug 2011, 10:01

With the Nord sound manager is it possible to assign manually assign piano sounds to a program/bank? It appears that certain piano sounds are factory assigned to a program/bank so was wondering if there's a way to do this yourself?
snerkler

Re: sound manager piano sample answer

Postby Hanon_CTS » 16 Aug 2011, 14:54

snerkler wrote:With the Nord sound manager is it possible to assign manually assign piano sounds to a program/bank? It appears that certain piano sounds are factory assigned to a program/bank so was wondering if there's a way to do this yourself?

I'm sorry, but no.
That would be a great feature to have,
even to be able to see which program uses which sample "via Nord Sound Manager" would be a plus.
So far, the only way to do it is to change the piano sample, then scroll through the programs looking for ones with a flashing "Model" number led, then hit the "Piano Info" button to select the new sample, then hit save if you like what you hear.
Cheers, hanon
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum