Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Korg Odyssey Worth to buy?

Postby Quai34 » 13 Jun 2015, 08:32

Hi guys,
Ok, you know that Marlowes is not the only gearslutz on this forum, I am as well....but Marlowes decided that his collection will be red and red only....I'm trying to make it with the synth I was dreaming of when I was 15....thus the Prophet 5, so I got a Prophet 08....
But when I bought my first Hammond organ, a used L100 (in fact my Dad did it for me....), the guy who was selling g the L100 had an Arp Odyssey and it was fantastic....
Then, what do you think the new Korg Odyssey could bring to me knowing that I already have a Prophet 08 and a NL2X (and Matrix 1000 and Emu Proteus 2000...)
Does it worth it or is it just a marketing "coup" by Korg?
Just let me know what you think....
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Korg Odyssey Worth to buy?

Sponsor

Re: Korg Odyssey Worth to buy?

Postby Mr_-G- » 13 Jun 2015, 10:52

Perhaps my comments might not be that useful for you to make a decision, but here they are anyway... :-)
The Oddyssey is one of THE synths of an era. It sounds great, and it is duophonic (oscillator-wise, not filter or amp -wise).
However, I do not like the small keys (terrible decision, Mr Korg), or the fact that there is no way of storing patches (sure, I understand that it is like the original one), and it is really not that cheap.
I owned a Teisco 110F, which had a sticker underneath saying "manufactured under ARP license" which has an architecture very similar to the ARP and it sounded great too.
However things have moved on and onboard effects, polyphony and patch storage make quite a difference on practical usability. I would love to have one, specially to exploit the CV/Gate control, but not at the current price. Of course, if money is not an issue...
Mr_-G-

Postby Quai34 » 13 Jun 2015, 11:01

Hi,
Yes, you're right, I use a lot presets to start playing with a new synth and the small keys are really weird.... I'm so used to normal keys as a piano player....thanks for the comments, maybe Sub patty 37 ( even at 1400$) might be the right one for me....
Thanks
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby analogika » 02 Jul 2015, 15:32

I have WAY too many synths. But I bought the Korg/ARP Odyssey, and I LOVE it.

It is completely unlike anything else I own (plenty of Moogs, Rolands, a couple of Korgs, a Casio, Technosaurus and some Oberheims, but no Dave Smith/Sequential).
It screams and squeals in a completely unique way, comes in at 1k Euro incl. tax with a full warranty, and in its own (rather nice) case.
It's WAY fun and deliciously surprising to grapple with its rather eccentric interface structure. No preset synth can approach the fun you can have with a purely fader- or pot-based analog.

There is nothing outdated about this synth.

The small keyboard is surprisingly playable.
Last edited by analogika on 02 Jul 2015, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum