Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Nord Wave worth it these days?

Postby Darren » 27 May 2015, 20:30

Waves seem tricky to get hold of. I got mine for around £750 delivered. Had a problem with the USB controller, but got that fixed for around £100 including courier. I think it compliments the NS2 very well in a 2 board setup - love it!
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
Darren
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby zzAARzz » 31 May 2015, 03:59

orcoaffamato wrote:
zzAARzz wrote:WAVE is producer choice. IMHO Wave is better than A1.

So A1 is the player's choice?

Wave is a key to nord synth sound and sample library. A1 - just synth. Wave is more useful in studio work, and so in live. I use Stage 2 in live with function band/cover band. Sometimes I can't do all keyboard sounds/parts in song in one keyboard. So I use my MacBookPro for additional sounds. If I start searching keyboard to increase my rig it 100% will be Nord Wave, because I will use second keyboard not only for synth sound.
zzAARzz

Postby Spider » 10 Jun 2015, 17:40

AdamStage2 wrote:
Darren wrote:Waves seem tricky to get hold of

I guess at lot of that has to do with the fact that many of us that have them,realise what a great synth it is,I certainly wouldn't ever let mine go...the odd one crops up on ebay for sale now and then.

well, exactly what just happened to me!
A Wave auction appeared, and inexplicably ended with no offers! So I was able to jump in later (didn't notice it until the auction was already closed) and got it at a really can't-miss-this-chance price!

Yes yes I know, I'm getting a bit carried away with the early-summer GAS epidemic... but you'll have to excuse me now, I have to go surfing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Spider on 10 Jun 2015, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Spider » 15 Jun 2015, 16:35

a very quick update after a few days of experimenting with my new toy: now I understand why everybody who ever owned one praises the Wave so much, and mourns its lack of heirs!

It-is-just-amazing.
Seriously, I'm blown away. The combination of sampled sounds, synth oscillators and controls is great. And the choice of filters and effects is simply perfect, they easily blend together in the most natural and musical way. It is just so freakin' easy to get great sounds out of scratch.
One feature among the many that caught my ear: the "sampled waves". I thought it was just a freak afterthought (a sampled attack followed by a single-cycle wave? Who'll ever need such a weirdish thing?), but I find it instead to be amazingly useful and musical.

While on paper it looks like there are so many compromises and limitations (only 2-part multitimbral, no splits, non-configurable arpeggiator and aftertouch, etc etc), in practice it is simply a great sounding instrument. The perfect demonstration that specs don't mean a thing when the sound is THE right one.

Well done Clavia... now please DON'T bring out a Wave2, or I'll be forced to buy it !!!
:lol:
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby neolithic » 16 Jun 2015, 17:04

Spider wrote:Well done Clavia... now please DON'T bring out a Wave2, or I'll be forced to buy it !!!

I'll be right behind you in the queue!! :thumbup:
And now for something completely different...

The author neolithic was thanked by:
Marlowes
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby maxpiano » 16 Jun 2015, 18:30

:shh: I may get one soon too... Fingers crossed!! :mrgreen:
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3