Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Roland SPD-SX as a trigger for Nord Drum 2

Postby ballener0 » 31 May 2015, 02:00

Hi guys, I own a Roland SPD-SX and, as much as I enjoy creating my own sounds for it, I miss having a nice unit like the Nord Drums 2 - those synths sound amazing and I'd really like to have them on my regular setup. It would make my electronic sound a lot more organic.

Has anyone here ever used these two elements together? If so, how did you connect the SPD-SX pads to the Nord Drum? I wouldn't like to buy the Nord Pad if I can help it.

Thanks!
ballener0

Roland SPD-SX as a trigger for Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Re: Roland SPD-SX as a trigger for Nord Drum 2

Postby wartaler » 31 May 2015, 12:12

Hi ballener!
I'm quite confident that it's possible,
I don't own a SPD-SX, but I had a quick look in the manual, page 67
You can set a global MIDI channel, and for each pad define a note number the SPD transmits from the MIDI OUT port. Your SPD has 9 pads, you can use at max 6 of them to play sounds on the Nord Drum 2. You will only need a simple MIDI cable and make sure that MIDI channel and note numbers set on the Nord Drum 2 and the SPD match.
In theory the ND2 responds quicker when played with the Nord Pad than thru MIDI, maybe someone else can comment on how noticeable the latency is..
Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
ballener0
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: Roland SPD-SX as a trigger for Nord Drum 2

Postby ballener0 » 31 May 2015, 13:23

wartaler wrote:Hi ballener!
I'm quite confident that it's possible,
I don't own a SPD-SX, but I had a quick look in the manual, page 67
You can set a global MIDI channel, and for each pad define a note number the SPD transmits from the MIDI OUT port. Your SPD has 9 pads, you can use at max 6 of them to play sounds on the Nord Drum 2. You will only need a simple MIDI cable and make sure that MIDI channel and note numbers set on the Nord Drum 2 and the SPD match.
In theory the ND2 responds quicker when played with the Nord Pad than thru MIDI, maybe someone else can comment on how noticeable the latency is..
Cheers,
Albert

Hey Albert,

Thanks for your comment. You're absolutely right, the manual basically says it all. I'll look for the Nord Drum 2 manual - it's easy to find - and I guess with that it should be enough. I found some videos of people triggering it from other pads, so it should be possible. Anyway, if someone here has done it with the SPD-SX it would be great to know about his/her experience, basically because of the latency issue - although it looks like it's no problem at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OLJAL4dsI

Thanks again!
ballener0

Return to Nord Drum Forum