Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

ND2 Program Change (Midi)

Postby jrswiss » 21 May 2015, 11:17

Dear

I am close to buy a Nord Drum 2 but not 100% sure if this little unit will meet my needs.
As a ‘one-man’ acoustic guitar player/singer some songs needs a rhythm backing track. I plan to ‘sequence’ ND2 with the iPad (Dum Beat App) or Mac running Ableton LIVE.
I was wondering it’s possible to force Ableton LIVE to send MIDI ‘Program Change’ to individual presets.

Example:
CHANNEL 1: Bank 1, Program 12, Sound from pad 4
CHANNEL 2: Bank 2, Program 3, Sound from pad 2
…. up to six…

As far as I understand, I can can copy/paste sounds from other presets to the user banks (5-8) and send Program Change to load the preset, but my question is different from that.

Thank you for your information.

Best regards
Roman
jrswiss

ND2 Program Change (Midi)

Sponsor

Re: ND2 Program Change (Midi)

Postby wartaler » 21 May 2015, 20:39

Hi Roman,

The ND2 can store 400 programs (organised in 8 banks of 50 programs),
A program consists of 6 sounds / channels, eg a drum kit with a kick, snare, hihat, and 3 toms

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if it's possible to swiftly replace the sound of one, or a couple of the 6 channels, with other sounds.

It is possible to copy and paste a sound from one program to another, 'manually' - but not thru MIDI

However, thru MIDI you can control all sound parameters of each of the 6 channels of the ND2, which might help to achieve what you want. Although I'm not sure how quick the ND2 will respond if you change a lot of parameters to completely reprogram sounds 'at once'

Alternatively you could store several variations of one program. then you'll simply have to send program changes. Might work better..

So I think there are a couple of ways to achieve what you want, how well it will actually work in practice, to quickly do program changes between 2 beats, depends on how quick the ND2 responds, and the tempo of your track, not sure -anyone else?

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 22 May 2015, 07:46, edited 5 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
pablomastodon
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: ND2 Program Change (Midi)

Postby jrswiss » 22 May 2015, 08:45

Dear Albert

Thank you very much for your detailed Information.
This is exactly what I was asking for and the ND2 should work within my enviroment.
Again, thank you Albert!

Best regards
Roman
jrswiss

Return to Nord Drum Forum