Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord Drum 1 with Ableton

Postby Alura » 17 Apr 2015, 15:05

Hi everybody,

I got a Drum mk.1 a couple of weeks ago and I was trying to connect it with Ableton Live.
Until now I only used USB-connected MIDI device on my PC, so I'm basically doing this for the first time. I plugged the MIDI IN of the Drum to MIDI OUT of my Scarlett 2i4 but on Preferences I cannot find the Clavia instrument.
So, as second option, I plugged MIDI IN of the Drum to the MIDI OUT of my MIDI keyboard (which is directly connected via USB to the PC). Now, I'm able of course to register a MIDI pattern, but not able to let the Nord play it.
I suppose it's just a question of setting the right channels and even reading the manual out, I didn't find the way to do it. Would you please help me?

P.S.: I'm not mother-tongue English, so sorry if it sounds weird sometimes. :)

:thanks:
Alura

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Nord Drum 1 with Ableton

Sponsor

Re: Nord Drum 1 with Ableton

Postby neolithic » 17 Apr 2015, 16:25

Ableton (or any DAW) will never 'recognise' any MIDI device plugged into the Scarlett interface: by that I mean it will not appear in Ableton as a "Nord Drum" - the only thing Ableton will recognise is the Scarlett. Instead, set the MIDI I/O in Ableton to send to the Scarlett on channel 10 (or any number of your choice - i use 10 for drums) and set the Drum to receive on channel 10.

I don't fully understand which bit you are having the problem with, but given that your 2nd option appears to work, if you plug the Drum into the MIDI THRU of the keyboard, instead of MIDI OUT, then it should receive the same MIDI data sent to your keyboard.
If this works for you, you can set the Drum to receive on a different channel number, then send the pattern to that MIDI channel in the Ableton Live I/O
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Drum Forum