General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS2 Wish List: Something missing on the NS2?

Postby simonk » 20 Nov 2014, 23:44

Amp Env Velocity has a very small impact on the volume of the sound. It would be much better if a low velocity value would produce a REALLY weak sound and a strong velocity would produce a very loud sound. Now it's all in the range of sort of mezzo piano to mezzo forte.

Keyboard-tracking (KB-track) was much better on the Stage EX, when you could set it to 3 different values. Now its just on of off.

Also, the vibrato speed is set within a very comfortable range.... I would like to be able to set to to more extreme values, I would especially like it slower. It would also be a great possiblity if one could setup the vibrato intensity a bit more extreme. It's also far too pleasant.
Last edited by simonk on 20 Nov 2014, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
simonk

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Sponsor

Postby deonord » 09 Dec 2014, 05:53

Hey all,
I've been using the Stage 2 Compact more and more as a controller along with it's internal sounds.

I would love an update that would allow the option of a high trigger point for external midi sounds such as other organ sound engines.

I agree with some other posts re. new Clav and Rhodes samples, a Clav mute sample and some Clav Key Off samples - at this point I still use the Nord Wurly and Clavs but have far more realistic Rhodes sample libraries in my Kronos and Motif that I use regularly.

What about the Dusty Mark II by Precision Sound? I think Nord has partnered or licensed with Precision sound for some other sounds or samples.

Cheers
deonord

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage EX

Postby stuartoMVF41000S » 31 Dec 2014, 09:45

1. What everyone else seems to want - more piano and sample memory.
2. SPDIF/USB out that is at least 96KHz and 32 bit and settable to 44.1/48KHz and 24 bit as well - even if it was an additional cost add-on module.
2. sound manager tablet/smartphone app so you have a smaller footprint interface that you can use and place on the NSx.
3. Faster upload/download of sounds/samples to the NS2.
4. As for weight, I prefer no weight reduction if it means compromising quality, durability, or would result in a major increase in cost.
stuartoMVF41000S

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby neolithic » 08 Jan 2015, 16:41

These are the things i'd hope to see in a NS3 (actually i wouldn't, because i only recently bought a NS2!)

Hardware:
- Stereo Audio in, so you could plug an external synth and use the nord's FX section. That would be really nice. Also you could bring an external signal into the synth section and use the filter/LFO etc., but given the limited featureset of the NS2 synth I doubt many would need that.

Software:
- Gated arpeggiator! Kindof like the gate option on the Korg Kaosillator. Would be amazingly versatile for creating basslines without the need for any external gear.
- Come to that, why not a programmable arpeggiator? I realise this isn't a workstation, but the ability to create even 4 bar arp sequences on a PC and load them into the the NS2 would be great. You could even get creative and use them for drum samples
- LFO control of the AMP envelope, then you could use a clock-synced square wave to modulate the arpeggiator and create some great syncopated patterns. You'd need greater control over the clock division - AFAIK it's only 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. right now, so it would be good to dial in any desired fraction of the clock speed.
- Organ, Piano and Synth each to have their own FX send levels, so you could have a dry bass synth and a big reverbed piano for e.g. - think Faithless, Massive Attack etc.
- More sample RAM. That's a given.
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby neolithic » 04 Feb 2015, 17:44

Well - I discovered something missing... (see this post: https://www.norduserforum.com/post52620.html#p52620)

Basically i'd like an option to make the LFO restart on key press - this is sometimes called "Key Sync" on other synths.
If you load the RadioGaGa patch in the link above and hold down F1 you'll see what I mean. The LFO runs with the clock, but it should be possible to have it sync so it starts with a whole cycle instead of mid-cycle. If it's clock-synced too (as it is in this case), then it should start with a new cycle on the next beat.

Currently, AFAIK, it will always start mid-cycle.

This could be an easy software update... so here it is on the wishlist :-)
neolithic
Patch Creator

Postby Roodle » 22 Mar 2015, 00:27

Just got my NS2 and working throught it. Already one personal gripe is the fact when changing sounds as in if you have a piano and string mixed together and want to change programme to change but only with the piano on the next bar the strings go off very annoying . Also with a company like Nord surely they will Come up with an IPad app for the NS2 that will enable more ability to load samples, sets and sounds etc quickly in a live context . Finally brass sounds seriously if they can sample organs and pianos like that surely they can sample better brass. Just my thoughts
Roodle

Postby neolithic » 22 Mar 2015, 13:03

Roodle wrote:...already one personal gripe is the fact when changing sounds as in if you have a piano and string mixed together and want to change programme to change but only with the piano on the next bar the strings go off very annoying .

Do you want to play a layered program with strings and piano for a few bars, then just the piano alone? You can do that either by turning off the synth section, using the slot A and Slot B buttons, or with the pedal/gate feature using triple pedal. Some options for you.

Roodle wrote:Also with a company like Nord surely they will Come up with an IPad app for the NS2 that will enable more ability to load samples, sets and sounds etc quickly in a live context .

They are a small company - getting involved in software dev is a major headache and almost killed the company with the Nord Modular from what I read. Best they stay focussed on what they do best and leave it to 3rd party devs to do iPad apps IMHO. There are some suitable midi apps out there AFAIK - someone is sure to comment.

Roodle wrote:Finally brass sounds seriously if they can sample organs and pianos like that surely they can sample better brass. Just my thoughts

The piano samples are multi-layered and synth section samples are single layered. You are never going to get the kind of dynamism in samples you get with the pianos. They had to compromise somewhere I guess, otherwise the cost of the instrument would be too great. The organ section is not samples at all - it's modelled in software.
neolithic
Patch Creator

Postby Claviceps » 03 Apr 2015, 14:32

I've heard a lot of complaints about the piano action of the NS2. I can't say from experience, as I don't own one, but I'm sure a lot of people would be pleased to have heavier and more tailored action to the player themselves. Something I have played personally with very realistic action is the Kawai VPC1. Of course I'm not saying you should directly emulate that, perhaps just check it out and see what you can take from it to make it a Nord staple.

Lastly I'll bump up the additional on board memory. I don't know how much you would actually be able to put into the NS2, but as much as possible is the way I would go, what with all of the amazing samples et'c.

Thanks.

EDIT: Triple sensors ;-)
Last edited by Claviceps on 04 Apr 2015, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Claviceps

Postby Eumel » 17 Jul 2015, 04:29

H folks,

I bought my first Nord 1 month ago (NS2EX 88). I use it quite intensively and must say that I'm extremely happy with it. The only two things on my wishlist are:

1. I'd like to have pictures of the FM algorithms in the manual.
2. I would like to have the possibility to assign what is routed to the headphones. So far only Out1&2 are routed to the headphones.

That's it so far.

Greets,

Eumel
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact
Eumel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby costaseglezos » 30 Jul 2015, 11:06

Wouldn't it be very convenient if output 3/4 could work as a clone of the output 1/2?
We could use it to feed a powered onstage stereo monitor system without having a mixer.
Nord Electro 2
Kawai ES-110
Yamaha Stagepas 400i

The author costaseglezos was thanked by:
Eumel
costaseglezos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum