Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Listing the contents of a Nord Wave Backup

Postby RyanC » 12 Feb 2015, 23:22

Wow! Nice work! +1 for a NLA1 version :)
Nord Electro 4 HP73, Nord Lead A1, Black Nord T-shirt.
RyanC

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

Postby Berretje » 13 Feb 2015, 11:34

steffengrondahl wrote:Bumping again. I have created it more or less. There's a few bug, but probably fine for now. I have published the NPW parser on my danish (!) website:

http://steffengrondahl.dk/musik_nwpparser.html

Click on the red store button to load a nwp file. When loaded the file is validated (partially), parsed and the settings are shown. Clicking on a knob will for a short period show the exact value in the display. You can even chose which slot to look at :mrgreen:

Nice, isn't it? The Wave layout is done in SVG. The rest is JavaScript (and HTML5).

Hi Steffen,

Well done! I don't own a Nord Wave, but I appreciate the fact that your are willing to create such fantastic tool!
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Bart
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby neolithic » 13 Feb 2015, 12:10

Kudos to you Steffen!! - (and also mjbrands who did the initial work!)

This is such a neat tool and you have clearly spent a lot of time on it - RESPECT :-)

In fact, I think you should PM Johannes and ask him to make a link to it on the main menu - (or even host it on this site?)

My only suggestion is that for non-danish speakers you have a little guidance, just 1 line: "Push the red button!" :lol:

EDIT: Actually, it would be really useful if you had a <table> of all the params and their values underneath the SVG. That way a user could print the webpage and have a patch-sheet with a handy illustration of the knob positions above it :-)

:yourock:
Last edited by neolithic on 13 Feb 2015, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby steffengrondahl » 13 Feb 2015, 20:59

Thank you for the recognition, suggestions and wishes :)

Yes, I should consider making an english version and might well do soon.

And yes, I will definitevely contact Johannes. It would seem appropriate to have a copy hosted here, if Johannes agrees. This could be the english version and the starting point for other file parsers (NLA1 for instance). And incluing a parameters table. I actually started with a table, but went for the much more appealing grafical representation. And I don't need the table for my own purpose, so I dropped it again.

A NLA1 version is at the moment not possible. First of all, I don't have a NLA1, so this alone excludes me from making one ;) Second, I'm not sure I want to go thru this again. It's really a lot of work. Probably not difficult (now the basic structure has been recognized), but very boring and time-consuming. You really have to be dedicated. But if the NW parser ends ups being hosted here, it should be a simple task looking into the code (plain standard javascript) and begin programming the NLA1 parser. And I can contribute with my findings and how the parser and program is build so someone can get up and started quite fast.

For now I'm going to improve some of the lasting bugs. The odd morph behaviour is something I can live with, so I wont put more effort into that. But I would like to improve the raw value - display value mapping. And the checksum ... sigh. I haven't been able to find the algorithm. The Fletcher 16 seem so promising, but unfortunately it's not that. I've also tried the BSD and LRC checksums, but they are far of the mark :sad: Well this just means I cannot make reverse engineering and wont be able to match all raw value with a display value.

To be continued ...
Last edited by steffengrondahl on 13 Feb 2015, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

The author steffengrondahl was thanked by 2 members, including:
JohannesMarlowes
steffengrondahl

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby steffengrondahl » 15 Feb 2015, 01:46

I've found the checksum algorithm :D :mrgreen: :crazy: :ugeek:

It is CRC16CCITT. Wonder if Clavia used this for all program files?

http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/51data/CRC16CCITT.java.html
(Yes this is Java, I'm doing my parser in JavaScript, but it's just to swap 'int' with 'var' :) )

Now time for bed. Tomorrow ... reverse engineering :geek:

The author steffengrondahl was thanked by:
Marlowes
steffengrondahl

Postby pablomastodon » 16 Feb 2015, 06:44

WOW! what else is there to say? If/when I ever make it to Denmark (Omi's birthplace), I will surely want to buy you a beer!

bless,

pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby steffengrondahl » 17 Feb 2015, 21:36

Thanks Pablo :D In case you ever visit Denmark do it in the summer. Winter is just cold, wet, grey and boring. Ant there's not even snow :(

I believe the NWP parser is completed. I managed to make a simple tool (in Java) for modifying an nwp file: Changing a single value and recalculating the checksum so the new file is still valid. With this, I have been able to do the last missing mappings between raw value and display values (and doh - I just now realized, that pressing the shift button while tweaking a knob writes the assigned value on the display :oops: :roll: ). I will soon make an english version and publish on a subsite to my webpage. t.b.a. when done.

Regarding a similar parser for the NLA1 I have been looking into it, and I believe it might be a much simpler task. Perhaps I could provide some starting point, but I guess I better take this discussion in the Nord Lead/rack forum. I believe I saw a thread which is appropiate for this :)

I'm cosidering making a bunch of Java files with parser and other useful tools. Anyone with knowledge in Java can then continue from here. When done (probably in a few weeks), I either publish it here or ask Johannes if it could be added to the download section of the forum.
steffengrondahl

Postby Marlowes » 18 Feb 2015, 09:38

Kjære herr Grøndahl!

Please, continue your quest!

Since we are "naboer" (neighbors) and speak almost the same language
(as the vikings, which had a great influence on English, a much later language! :lol: )
it may be very convenient for me to be your alpha- and beta-tester?
I got both the NLA1 & NL2X and is also quite used to computers IMHO.
Also, we got Elektromin in Stockholm, Ricard in Lund - two brilliant HW/SW-NL2-MSc's. 8-)

Had a brief look at Java some years ago, found out it was not "my cup of tea" (sorry, could not resist that coffee pun, @boringoffice.se) ;)
Have been working professionally with PHP, though.

NLA1 parser next? "I'll be your wingman, anytime!"

Yes Neo, me being the "recipe guy" of NLA1; a table with the values would be more than enough to start with.

/Kærlig hilsen
Michael i Skåne
Last edited by Marlowes on 18 Feb 2015, 09:47, edited 2 times in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby steffengrondahl » 18 Feb 2015, 22:31

Hejsan Michael :D

Sound good. I will continue the NLA1 discussion on the Nord Lead forum.

Cheers, Steffen

Marlowes
steffengrondahl

Postby steffengrondahl » 22 Feb 2015, 15:28

I have created an english version with a table for continuous parameters. Take a look at it here:
http://synthtools.steffengrondahl.dk/NWPParser.html
(and don't just look - try it, if you have a nwp file :D )

I'm not planning to go further with this. If someone really would like to have a description (listing) of the nwp file, I can do a pdf file. But if nobody cares, I rather tweak some knobs on the Wave ;)

Marlowes
steffengrondahl

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Wave Forum