This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Sample Editor - Input and Output Do Not Sound The Same

Postby neolithic » 27 Jan 2015, 17:30

Dost mine ears deceive me?
I take on board your comments - and the gentle reprimand. I'm not going to eat humble pie just yet, but i'm going ask my wife to bake one, just in case! (a big one, as I may have to share it)
My NY resolution is to try not to be a stubborn old git, so I'm going to look at the source wav :-)
Peace.
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby neolithic » 27 Jan 2015, 19:39

I had a quick look at this and while I couldn't replicate the exact sounds, I got close enough that I may have figured out what you did wrong...

Your source is fine. When you loaded it into the sample editor, one of the panes has 3 options: Long Loop, Short Loop and No Loop.
Long Loop uses the most memory, but captures more of the essence of a sound that varies over time
Short Loop uses a single cycle waveform. Basically the shortest piece of the sample that will loop. (No Loop is a one shot - e.g. for drums.)
The sample starts from the start point (funny eh?) and the loop starts from the Alt Start point. So you get one attack, (e.g. your click sound) then it keeps looping the tail part of the sample.
If you used 'short loop' you get a sound with very little character.

The main problem lies in the NS2. When you transfer the new sample over, it goes into the next available space in the sample memory.
However, here's the important bit: only the actual sample is changed in the current synth patch. So if you have a guitar patch loaded up (my guess in your case), you'll play the new organ sound with a guitar envelope. Also, any filters etc. will affect it.

Top tip: I have a patch I call 'sample test' so I can hear the actual sample with no effect.
To do this, turn off all FX and rotary speaker. Turn off slot B and use only slot A (or vice versa). Make sure only Synth is active. Apply a LPF filter and turn the filter knob full clockwise so it has no effect. Turn all others synth knobs to zero (some of them are zero'd in the central position).
On the Amp env - apply an organ envelope: i.e. 0, 100, 0 (instant attack, full sustain, instance release).
Now you can play your sample as you meant it. Although it won't ever sound as good as an organ sim, as it is a sample after all.

(I added a MP3 and the patch, with the Wave knob turned to both positions so you can hear with and without the attack portion. I used a bit of amp distortion)

Hope that clears up the issue! Oh, and @Cornopean - you were right and tonight I will be eating that humble pie. Anyone else on here want some?
Peace.
Attachments
Organ test MW.ns2p
Synth patch to test organ sample problem
(547 Bytes) Downloaded 258 times
Sample Editor Test.mp3
Testing a problem with an organ sample
(191.43 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
neolithic
Patch Creator

Postby GaryA » 27 Jan 2015, 20:42

Yes, Internet, I have nothing better to do than come on here and play two different instrument patches and try to gaslight you into thinking they're coming from the same source. :roll:

Anyways. Enjoy these sounds, fresh off the press.

Original VST organ sound, same as first post, with distortion turned off (and turned the click down about half, per group suggestions!):

VST organ sampled through Nord and played back:

For fun/comparison, I grabbed at random a standard rock organ to sample. Input:

Output

And a sample of the accordion I mentioned. Mind you this was my literal first experience with the Nord Sample Editor and this was the result I got.

I seem to have left some form of reverb on that accordion patch which is weird. I've noticed that the Nord sometimes takes the effects settings from whatever previous patch I was on and leaves them on, which is very annoying. I'm sure this is what you all were referring to when asking if I was playing back the correct bank, but I'm (fairly) sure I had everything else turned off.

The improvement on the patch without distortion is astounding, so I'm willing to bet that's what was causing the problem. I did notice on this latest batch of recordings the un-distorted organ has a lot more muddled low end than the VST recording. So there's still improvement to be made. I'll continue tweaking and learning! The JC overdrive on the Nord will definitely handle any grittiness I want to add back into the organ sound.

Patch notes:

NO-verdrive organ - Upper Manual 807412012
Rock organ - Upper Manual 888800000 (this really was the most basic of basic organ sounds I guess!)
Attachments
accordion_demo.mp3
Accordian demo
(557.14 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
rock_organ_nord_output.mp3
Rock organ sound sampled and played back through Nord
(324.49 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
rock_organ_VST.mp3
Sample rock organ sound VST patch
(376.53 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
nodist_nord_output.mp3
Original VST patch sampled and played back through Nord
(335.51 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
nodist_VST.mp3
Original VST patch, distortion off
(329.39 KiB) Downloaded 1419 times
GaryA

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby GaryA » 27 Jan 2015, 20:51

Ah hi here neolithic! Sorry, looks like we must have cross-posted. I had this forum up on my computer from this morning and never bothered to refresh.

That "patch test" program is a really brilliant idea. That was one of the first quirks I noticed with the Nord when I set to moving/rearranging the synth section to please my OCD little heart. I guess I understand why it only swaps out the sample, but for people like me just starting out, I'm just trying to get the samples right, I haven't even started on fine-tuning a program!

neolithic, I don't think I touched the loop section when making my original sample. As I've since used that .nwiproj file a few times over to re-test the organ patch, I can't go check to be sure.... But you may be onto something there! That accordion was made with no loop and it's 10MB haha.

I'm going to start using your sample test program going forward. It seems like a no-brainer to make doubly sure you've got a clean slate.
GaryA

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby Guitar Pete » 09 Feb 2015, 19:21

I'm hearing the same thing as you, Gary. I tried sampling a pipe organ and a drum from my Korg Kronos X. I'm not using MIDI, but straight audio. The audio is coming out of my Korg and going into a Presonus 16.4.2 mixer, which is utilizing Capture to export out to .WAV. The resultant WAV files sound just like the Korg. The first instrument I tried was the pipe organ. I know what a pipe organ should sound like, but the sampled version on the Nord sounds more like a regular organ - the timbre of the instrument is nothing like the Korg or the WAV. Thinking it was a fluke and that somehow the Nord was playing an entirely different sample (as suggested earlier in this thread), I next chose a drum sample from the Korg. I used the same method to capture the single hit of a drum. Played back through my monitor speakers, the WAV sounds the same as the Korg.

Let me just add that I'm using some wall-mounted JBL monitor speakers and a Crown amp, just to preclude anyone trying to say that the setup isn't good. Everything is routed through this setup.

I chose a drum, since the Nord doesn't have them. When I played back the sampled drum in the Nord, it sounds more like a bongo than the Korg or WAV. All signals were recorded dry. I have never had an issue like this with the Korg.

If someone figures this one out, I'd sure like to hear the fix.
Guitar Pete

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby neolithic » 09 Feb 2015, 19:28

Check my answer above (27 Jan 2015, 18:39) - my money is that you have some filtering. Remember when you put a sample into the Nord, you aren;t necessarily going to get the same thing out unless you turn off all of the NS2's processing. That means filter, envelopes, LFO, FX etc.
That's assuming you created the sample OK in the Sample Editor software...
Check it out and come back if you are still having no luck!
CHeers :-)
neolithic
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Feb 2015, 22:12

You need to INITIALISE the synth. Otherwise all the other settings remain from the last patch that was selected. See the manual on how to do this (it is a Shift-Bank_D command).
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 10 Feb 2015, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Postby Guitar Pete » 10 Feb 2015, 00:31

Thanks, guys. I'll give this a shot and see what happens. Glad that guitars don't have this problem... ;)
Guitar Pete

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum