Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Wave MIDI problems

Postby kryonso » 25 Jul 2011, 03:42

Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone can help. I am wanting to use my wave as a midi controller for soft synths on my PC but it does not seem to work?? I am by no means a MIDI guru (far from it) but I read through the manual and think I set things up right but nothing happens..ie. the MIDI light does not flash on when I presss a key nor does my PC recognise incoming MIDI??

Here is how I have things set up:

Nord Wave midi out>Korg Zero 8 Midi IN> PC>Ableton

Settings on the Wave:
Midi Control Local: On
MIDI Channel:1
MIDI CTRL A Channel: 1
MIDI CTRL B Channel: Auto (2)
MIDI Ctrl Change Mode: Send
MIDI Prog Change Mode: Send
(i haven't messed with MIDI send bank?receive bank, Dump or Send CC as I have no idea what they do).

Ive played around with most settings but never has the MIDI light flashed nor has Ableton recognised my waves incoming MIDI?
I saved all the above settings to a user channel on the WAVE.

What the heck am I doing wrong/missing? Or do I have a faulty unit do you think?

Cheers for any help! Kryonso :keyboard2:
Last edited by kryonso on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
kryonso

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Wave MIDI problems

Sponsor

Re: Wave MIDI problems

Postby mjbrands » 29 Jul 2011, 18:46

I was stupid enough to upgrade my Mac to Lion, so I can't use Live right now to verify anything.

Some questions though:
- Did you set up your midi interface correctly in Live?
- Does the midi indicator in Live blink if you hit a key or turn a knob on the Wave?

You need to enter midi map mode in Live to tell Live to which controls you want to map knobs on the Wave. You enter midi map mode (your screen will turn 'blue' when you enter midi map mode), click on whatever control you want to control from the Wave and then touch the control you want to use on the Wave. If you can't click on the controls in the VST itself, you may need to first set up a macro in Live and then select that.

Maybe you should first set up controlling a native Live device from the Wave, so you know you've got Live, your midi interface and your Wave set up correctly. Alter that you can mess with specific VST plugins.

Look at the 2nd post on this page for VST and macro's: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158623
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Wave MIDI problems

Postby Hanon_CTS » 29 Jul 2011, 19:26

Hello kryonso,
Welcome to the forum!
The previous post by mjbrands addresses some important considerations.
I have a few things to add:
The MIDI LED on the Wave only flashes when receiving MIDI, not when sending it.

I'm assuming that you're using the Korg Zero8 as a MIDI interface for the Wave to communicate to the PC.
Are you connecting the Zero8 to the PC via FW or USB?

I believe that there is a Korg driver configuration to enable the MIDI thru mode to work on the Zero8.
Does Ableton see MIDI coming from the Zero8?

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Wave Forum