Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Newbie midi questions for NP2

Postby onyaw » 17 Jan 2015, 17:58

Apologies for these newbie questions but I want to explore midi with the NP2 (basically to try if adding cool jazz/blues organ sounds and some rhodes sounds infamously missing on the piano 2, which I got for the touch) via midi sounds better than through synth samples, before I invest in a dedicated iPad/MacbookAir and software. Athough I see Mainstage 3 is cheap enough, my current OS version is too old and I can't upgrade the sys right now. So I'm trying this with GarageBand or Reaper.

First question is very newbie: How do I get this to work? I am USB'ing and ensuring that the midi bank is set to USB 1. I can see on each software set to monitor mode that its getting the input. But not hearing output; shouldn't both input and output come through the USB? I read the instructions but just don't see it. In GarageBand prefs, for example, Audio/Midi says it sees one midi connection but I can't select it (I've got the i/o defaulted to System i/o as instructed).

Second question: Once I'm satisfied, if I get an iPad instead of a Macbook, will I there be any latency issues when playing live?

Its probably overkill for me to even use midi but, darn it, I want to get it working!

Thx for your help
onyaw

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Newbie midi questions for NP2

Sponsor

Re: Newbie midi questions for NP2

Postby neolithic » 17 Jan 2015, 20:52

To answer your second question, the answer is that on a *new* ipad you should be ok, but do these sounds actually exist in ipad apps? The instruments in ipad GarageBand are not that wonderful IMHO.
Another thing - i have been dutifully updating my aging iPad2 with each iOS and each app update (iMini, iMS20, Nave, Animoog, .....) and I now notice some less than ideal performance. I think it's that the software developers have added new features that make the most of the latest hardware. Apple actively encourage this of course ;-)
And now for something completely different...

The author neolithic was thanked by:
onyaw
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby onyaw » 17 Jan 2015, 21:17

Thanks - not planning to use GarageBand, just wanted to try it from my laptop while trying to get things to work. I'd read there are some good keyboard sounds in Mainstage including Hammond B3 so that is kind of what i'm looking for but i can't install it on my laptop because its not really mine so I can't upgrade the system to use Mainstage 3 (which is only $29).

I would get a new iPad for sure.

HOWEVER, my issues must be with software and not knowing what I am doing. Because on my generation 1 (!!) iPAD i could definitely get both input and playback via midi - using very very simple freebie apps (e.g. midiwrench). So the USB seems to work as advertised. Also I didn't detect a significant delay but that was with a very simple app not doing much to the sound.
onyaw

Postby onyaw » 17 Jan 2015, 23:14

@neolithic: sorry, I may have been wrong about Mainstage 3 being available for iPad it may just be laptop. sigh...
onyaw

Postby RedLeo » 18 Jan 2015, 02:20

Might it not be a lot simpler to trade the Piano 2 for an Electro?
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby neolithic » 18 Jan 2015, 12:44

Have you checked out Galileo app on the iPad? It's a tone wheel modelling organ. I don't have it myself but I'd be interested to hear if it's any good. Might be good for trying out musical ideas when access to keys is not practical (i don't think Virgin Atlantic allow my to set up my NS2 in the aisle. Not in economy class anyway)

Watch on youtube.com

There's also iElectric Piano...
Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by neolithic on 18 Jan 2015, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
And now for something completely different...

The author neolithic was thanked by:
onyaw
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby onyaw » 18 Jan 2015, 15:32

Thanks neolithic - ugh, my iPad being gen1 i can't try out Galileo which requires iOS7 minimum. iGrand (similar to iLectric) goes back to iOS5 but is not midi-ing appropriately. That is, my master keyboard notes play on the iPad, but the iPad doesn't send signal back to the NP2. Must be my newbie-ness. Some of the midi-apps do it right, others don't.

This was all because I wanted to play around to see what's possible. In the end i'm mainly into this for the piano feel (hammer action) and piano sounds. Can wait around a bit until I upgrade or until updates to the NP2 include some of the other samples of interest. There are a couple of NordStage samples for Hammond organ (from another thread) that sound okay when programmed into the synth bank of the NP2.
onyaw

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum