This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Random Full Velociity Notes Fatar Keybed

Postby michael_C1 » 09 Jan 2015, 01:46

I was considering using a weighted controller with my Nord Electro 3 to access the piano sounds. Since I also wanted to use the controller with software, I went with the new Arturia Keylab 88 which has the Fatar TP100 keybed with aftertouch.

I've had several Nords and none of them had velocity problems other than dirty contacts occasionally. I've read that Nord calibrates each Fatar keybed that it uses, so I expect that accounts for their trouble free operation

However, this brand new Arturia and my Studiologic VMK188plus before it both exhibit random full velocity notes playing occasionally. It's also been documented that some of the Numa Nero's have the same problem. You can play for 20 minutes with no problems, then there'll be a note at 127 velocity for no apparent reason.

Does anyone have any idea specifically why this might occur? And what does Nord do to prevent these issues?
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Random Full Velociity Notes Fatar Keybed

Sponsor

Re: Random Full Velociity Notes Fatar Keybed

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Jan 2015, 02:35

Perhaps a firmware bug in the Arturia? Or the unit is faulty?
If the Nord is playing (receiving) a note at 127 (full velocity) then the problem is the Arturia. You can check if this is the case with a MIDI monitor.
Does the controller have dynamics or sensitivty setting that you can tweak, just in case?

If it were dirty contacts, maybe you would be receiving constantly the same high vel note, not randomly.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
michael_C1
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby RedLeo » 09 Jan 2015, 02:46

Nord can't do anything about problems originating in other pieces of equipment.

Does the problem always occur on playing the same note or does it occur on different notes? If it's always the same physical key, then that would indicate a problem with that key (faulty or dirty). If it occurs on a number of different notes, then that would suggest a firmware or hardware problem on the controller keyboard or possibly a MIDI problem in your routing somewhere, unless you're just plugging directly from the MIDI Out of the controller directly into the MIDI In of the Nord.

If it's not a faulty or dirty key, do you have any other keyboards or sound modules you could connect your controller keyboard to and see if the problems still persists?
Last edited by RedLeo on 09 Jan 2015, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

The author RedLeo was thanked by:
michael_C1
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby michael_C1 » 09 Jan 2015, 06:20

Thanks for the replies guys! I've tried software instruments, and the problem is definitely in the Arturia, and it happens randomly on several random notes, not just on one note. It's totally unpredictable as far as I can see. Also, I can play one note repeatedly with no problems, then all of a sudden I'll get a maximum volume value 127 on that note, so it's not dirt on the contacts.

This behavior happens on a number of Studiologic controllers. which led me to believe it was the Fatar mainboard electronics. However, with the Arturia, I don't believe the mainboard is by Fatar, just the keybed. That seems to narrow down the problem to the Fatar keybed which does have electronic components itself.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me narrow down the problem further, or else point me in the right direction. The Fatar company is no help.
michael_C1

Postby RedLeo » 09 Jan 2015, 06:55

To be honest, if it's a firmware or hardware problem, it's unlikely to be user-fixable. Assuming it's still under warranty, I would just get it repaired, or preferably replaced. It's probably not worth your time to narrow the problem down any further as they'll probably replace the whole offending section or just replace the whole instrument for you.

Frankly if the problem is common to these units, I would consider asking for an exchange with a more reliable brand or model. With this sort of problem it's usually easier to "disappear" the problem rather than tackle it.
Last edited by RedLeo on 09 Jan 2015, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 09 Jan 2015, 07:32

Hi Michael,

Inconsistency of behavior does not necessarily mean that it's not dirty contacts. Suppose a tiny bit of lint gets sucked into the domed chamber of a specific note, that piece of lint can bounce around inside there with each press of the note. High velocity note behavior on a Fatar action will almost always be caused by contamination in the area of the contacts.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by 2 members, including:
michael_C1RedLeo
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby michael_C1 » 09 Jan 2015, 16:34

pablomastodon wrote:Hi Michael,

Inconsistency of behavior does not necessarily mean that it's not dirty contacts. Suppose a tiny bit of lint gets sucked into the domed chamber of a specific note, that piece of lint can bounce around inside there with each press of the note. High velocity note behavior on a Fatar action will almost always be caused by contamination in the area of the contacts.

Bless,

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting. This is a brand new keyboard, and this behavior has happened on at least 7-8 notes across the keyboard. Have you ever experienced such a thing?
I'm assuming that if it's contamination it had to have happened during the assembly process, either at Fatar, or where the keyboard assembly happened, which was China. Maybe dusty conditions in the assembly plant?

By the way, I returned this Arturia keyboard and I'm taking a chance and having it replaced with the same model. Whether that's a good move or not remains to be seen.

Peace, I hope you enjoy NAMM!

Michael
Last edited by michael_C1 on 09 Jan 2015, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
michael_C1

Return to General Nord Forum