Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Synchronizing via Midi

Postby sunlight » 07 Dec 2014, 15:24

Hi,

Hi to everyone - as I am new to this forum.
I got the ND2 recerntly and now wanted to increase using it. I have no computer in my studio..only hardware equipment - so I thought now about buying a ipad midi for using the ND app. But I can not find out if it is possible (and also what stuff I would need) to have the app synchronzed via Midi to an external signal (Clock -as slave) when working witht he app. Does the app accept being a slave the same time it triggerst the ND?

Any help/suggestions would be highly welcome.
sunlight

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Synchronizing via Midi

Sponsor

Re: Synchronizing via Midi

Postby skintechnician » 08 Dec 2014, 03:45

Sunlight,
I have a ND2 and I use irig MIDI 2 interface ($100USD) along with a standard midi cable that plugs from midi out on irig to midi in on Nord Drum 2. I've used it both master & salve modes. When in slave mode I have my laptop sending midi via a USB to midi cable that connects to the midi in port on irig2 (and yes it will trigger the nord drum 2 while in slave mode) Nord Beat i2 s a great, free app for the iPad (or mini)!

If your only hardware is an iPad (no laptop + USB to midi cable) and would like to use nord beat 2 in slave mode, I think there are some iPad apps that will allow you set up a virtual midi port (I've never tried it though). Here's a video of nord beat 2 using virtual midi port to trigger another sound source within iPad (not in slave mode though).
http://youtu.be/4uSmYuBa7jA

In order to trigger your Nord Drum 2 via Nord Beat 2 you will definitely need something like irig2 midi and a midi cable so that the iPad can send it midi.

It's worth mentioning that the Nord Drum Manager (for software updates, downloading custom kits, restoring factory patches, backing up your kits etc) would require a USB to midi connection (irig midi 2 in includes the adapter but you would need 2 midi cables plugged in the in/out midi ports) to a mac/pc.

Good luck!
Nate
Last edited by skintechnician on 08 Dec 2014, 07:26, edited 2 times in total.
skintechnician

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby tronque » 05 Jan 2015, 01:58

Hi, I've got 2 questions;

Is there any single MIDI interface that lets me both hook up the ND2 to Nord Beat AND my Mac OSX for os updates and the sound manager application. Not "irig midi 2", right?
But not at the same time of course...
Forgot the other question. :shock:
Thanks.
tronque

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby wartaler » 06 Jan 2015, 16:38

Hi Tronque..

The iRig 2 interface mentioned above comes with 2 different cables - to connect it to either a laptop (USB) or iPad (lightning) ..
I think the original iRig model has a 30 pin connector, so won't connect to your Mac,

Alternatively, find yourself any simple but decent USB-MIDI interface that supports Core-MIDI, for example an E-MU Xmidi 1x1 or the ESI M4U -

(have a look here which interfaces to avoid: nord-drum-forum-f27/polyphony-t7453.html)

to use a USB-MIDI interface with your iPad, you'll also need the Apple camera connection kit (30-pin-to-female-USB or Lightning-to-female-USB) - which isn't cheap -

The iRig MIDI 2, I bet will work great, the other interfaces mentioned above I tested in combination with Mac, PC and iPads, and they work fine as well!

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Jan 2015, 18:44, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
tronque
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum