Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

XV5080 Roland and SCSI and SPDIF

Postby Quai34 » 18 Dec 2014, 10:01

Hi,
I've never used any SCSI connection for music because I was never able to afford a Roland S760 or Akai S1000 when they were Rompler/Sampler standards. So, I was wondering if it worth today to buy an SCSI HD to use the huge amount of sounds available in the Akai library and to load them int my XV5080? Is the sounds will be better than the Samples from Nord library or is any of the new computer based library will blow the Akai samples quality wise?
Also, if I want to use the SPDIF digital output of the XV with my M-Audio Profire 2626, should I still use the analog output to monitor it? Currently, the stereo analog output are connected to the Mackie?
Just let me know
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

XV5080 Roland and SCSI and SPDIF

Sponsor

Re: XV5080 Roland and SCSI and SPDIF

Postby JEDmusic » 26 Dec 2014, 09:38

I used to have an XV5080 with full scsi setup and various Roland/other Libraries. I sold it all. The internal rompler sounds sounded bad and the sample libraries werent much better, IMO. I find all Rolands sample based synths to have a very muddy colored sound due to the same old overly data compressed samples they always use and recycle. Even the new Fantoms sound bad to me... a bland lifeless sound lacking in emotion that was killing my creative inspiration. Other technologies surpassed Roland a long time ago. I went to using Omnisphere and select Kontakt libraries for sound quality(infinitely more sample memory). I recently bought my Nord Wave and totally love it. I find the online Nord sample libraries to be good and clean sounding. Alot of the old Akai/Roland libraries were recorded and processed on old tech compared to now, not to mention bad loop point artifacts that is a deal breaker for me. Very short loop times as well due to small samples because of limited memory in the older gear. Just my opinion.
Last edited by JEDmusic on 26 Dec 2014, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

The author JEDmusic was thanked by:
Quai34
JEDmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum