Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Internal Tuning

Postby MeanRedBlueZ » 02 Dec 2014, 01:25

Greetings all -

Is there any chance Micro Tuning (and is the desire high enough?) could be implemented in OS update? I would love to have thirty some-odd notes (more or less) to one octave... for fun, y'know. I lyke to play...
MeanRedBlueZ

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 02 Dec 2014, 09:48

Have you thought of making a nsmp file in which a range of consecutive notes are at a microtonal intervals?

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
pablomastodon
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby MeanRedBlueZ » 03 Dec 2014, 21:53

Is that a option in the nord Sound Manager?

Edit: diving into Sample Editor now...

Mr_-G- wrote:Have you thought of making a nsmp file in which a range of consecutive notes are at a microtonal intervals?
Last edited by MeanRedBlueZ on 03 Dec 2014, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
MeanRedBlueZ

Postby Mr_-G- » 03 Dec 2014, 22:50

Not an option in the Sample editor, but you just make the microtonal samples and load them in consecutive keys.
You can generate the notes in some software. Audacity, for example, allows you to change the pitch of a wav file by any amount. So you can retune any sample to any interval.
So if you want quarter of a tone, you load A in the A key, then retune that to a quarter tone up and load it in the Bb key, the Bb sample in the B key and so on. That way you do not need to rely on the pitching of the keys between samples, but you need to generate all pitches yourself.
Mr_-G-

Postby MeanRedBlueZ » 04 Dec 2014, 03:11

right, i'm finding in the Nord Sample Editor that intervals are limited to semitones.

In theory, if the Nord Piano 2 can be tuned Globally in such fine resolutions (Hz and Cents), wouldn't it be relatively simple to implement one more Global parameter something to the tune of intervallic setting from key to key in the editor? i would even be keen to employ a simple Master interval setting directly from the Keyboard's internal menu.

i just hope that i'm not trying to make the Piano2 into something it's not, as i know there are microtonal hardware controllers and MIDI tune boxes in existence... i'm really just trying to get the most out of what i already own.
MeanRedBlueZ

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Dec 2014, 03:38

Hi MRBZ,

I think perhaps you missed Mr. G's point. The idea is to create the detuned .wav files of your desires in some other software, then import them to Nord Sample Editor and map them accordingly. Sure, it would be a bit of work, but as they say in my home country, "if you waan good, your nose haffi run."

As for "wouldn't it be relatively simple..." I think it is safe to say that making these instruments is not a simple thing. If it were, lots more people would be doing it...

Bless,

Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 04 Dec 2014, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby MeanRedBlueZ » 04 Dec 2014, 07:17

i got Mr.G's point. and i know how to sample... i feel mi assertion may have been inert now and wanting such a feature in the synth is not important to many... i just thought Software engineers for a manufacturer such as Clavia Nord do develop improvements for their instruments' Operating Systems from time to time, including feature additions ( i realize not every MIT company does this, but nord seems to have a healthy pulse on things).

Also when i mentioned it would be relatively easy to implement, i really meant it would be easier + more cost-effective than designing an entirely new piece of hardware. hmm maybe.

Great title to this thread, all things considered, the micro interval feature would logically make for an all new experience with the instrument...

pablomastodon wrote:Hi MRBZ,

I think you missed Mr. G's point. The idea is to create the detuned .wav files of your desires in some other software, then import them to Nord Sample Editor and map them accordingly. Sure, it would be a bit of work, but as they say in my home country, "if you waan good, your nose haffi run."

As for "wouldn't it be relatively simple..." I think it is safe to say that making these instruments is not a simple thing. If it were, lots more people would be doing it...

Bless,

Pablo
Last edited by MeanRedBlueZ on 04 Dec 2014, 13:31, edited 6 times in total.
MeanRedBlueZ

Postby MeanRedBlueZ » 04 Dec 2014, 10:57

beeps
Last edited by MeanRedBlueZ on 04 Dec 2014, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
MeanRedBlueZ

Postby Mr_-G- » 04 Dec 2014, 20:57

What do you mean by "beeps"?

Anyway, given the past history of changes that we see in OS updates, I have the feeling that it is unlikely that we will see that implemented in the current instruments. Of course I would like to be proved wrong. My perception is that they tend to include bug fixes, rather than radically new functions.
Of course I am not saying that this is not important, some manufacturers do implement these (e.g. Yamaha, as early as the DX 7II had it).
Mr_-G-

Postby RaminZ » 29 Nov 2022, 09:44

Hello All,
-90 I am new to this forum. I have used the Roland A-90 along with the Roland JV-2080 to achieve micro tuning - I would need to raise or lower some of the notes by up to 55 cents.
Does Stage 3 offer this feature?
RaminZ

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum