The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: Stand for C2

Postby Michael Wright » 11 Sep 2013, 17:11

Spider wrote:Isn't it possible to just sand off the red stain and re-paint the bare wood?
Or is the wood stained too deep, and you would have to remove too much thickness to get rid of all the red?

As BC_C2D said, making permanent mods to the instrument may make it less attractive for re-sale.
Michael Wright
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Sponsor

Postby mtier0067 » 04 May 2014, 19:52

Hey all

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I have been tinkering with my 2 tier z stand for a while now. I'm trying to figure out how to best use the stage 2 76 and a c2 all in front of me at once. I have tried virtually every set up and thought I would post my comments on the different configs

1. c2 on bottom, stage on top. as close as possible to play both while seated=restricted access to drawbars and other settings on the c2, not good. A little akward to play piano/rhodes etc over two manuals of organ, even if the stage 2 is close/low enough to be comfy.

2. C2 on top, slanted downwards, stage 2 on bottom with the c2 relatively close but still high enough to get at the controls on the stage=nice access to c2's drawbars and other controls, a little bit hard to get at the stage 2 controls while still being able to play the c2 seated.

3. C2 on top, stage 2 on bottom with the whole stand raised up for standing playing of both boards= easier access to settings on the stage2 because you can step back a tiny bit and look at the controls from a non-seated vantage point. Weird playing the organ/swell pedal standing and with it up that high. The whole thing is a little wobbly and not that reassuring with big palm smears etc.

And last night I think that I may have found something that works...

4. C2 on bottom for seated playing, stage 2 raised up enough for standing playing. The 2 manuals of the c2 are able to be slid back pretty far because you don't need to get at both boards while playing. (If I need to layer or split to have organ while playing piano, I just use the stage2's organ section.) This set up makes you either stand to play piano or sit to play organ. I think it works really well and allows you to engage with the audience while standing and play organ in a traditional way with the pedals, swell, and the like. I'll post some pics at some point here. Just thought I would share what I have come across... This thread was also useful in getting some ideas for stands. People just go crazy with their set up and it turns out to be much more work and money than finding a way to use an existing product to do what you need. There's always sacrifices in keyboard playing, You can't have everything in one package without having some other problems...
@ Home
'52 Hammond C2 w Trek Perc
'62 Leslie 145 w/ Speed Control
'76 MKI Rhodes Suitcase 73
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
Custom Stage Enclosure/Stand
mtier0067

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby The Franchise » 04 Sep 2014, 15:03

Dood! You're 'da man! In addition to my love for the Organ and C2D, I'm a self taught woodworker. Absolutely love your project! And for a first time attempt, you should be proud. As Spider says, it'll look great in the living room. Damn you! Now I gotta make one, and go buy a leslie to match. :-) Great ingenuity on the bedframe hardware. And most of all, many, many thanks for sharing the photos that give great views of the construction concepts. One question - what method did you use to connect the stretchers at the bottoms of the B3 legs ?

The author The Franchise was thanked by:
BC_C2D
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Postby BC_C2D » 04 Sep 2014, 16:10

I used 10" long heavy duty screws. They're visible in the pictures. They are countersunk at each corner
BC_C2D

Postby BC_C2D » 24 Sep 2014, 08:06

Franchise,

Sorry I misread your question. I connected the bottom of the B3 legs with some pieces I made. They're attached using the mortise and tenon method. Incidentally, I learned about M&T from watching The Woodwright's Shop TV show on PBS. The host showed how to measure to determine what size tenon is needed. Then he showed how to cut the tenon. Very helpful!

My wife says I watch too many DIY shows on tv. Sometimes they do come in handy.

Best,
BC
BC_C2D

Postby Berretje » 24 Sep 2014, 13:52

Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby BC_C2D » 29 Oct 2014, 08:54

I checked out Valhalla's stand but just feel it's too large to be used in a portable application. Too much wasted space. It's got some clever touches and the craftsmanship is certainly up to Valhalla's superb standards but it's just not my cup of tea. Probably will be great for churches but too big for my taste. I prefer my homemade stand to the Valhalla offering.

But it's great to see a real manufacturer like Valhalla invest in the r&d to come up with a viable option. I like how they took a "universal" approach to address the entire clone wheel market rather than a specific organ.

BC_C2D
BC_C2D

Postby Bcprods » 01 Nov 2014, 05:29

Hi Brad - Byron had to make it wider because some customers wanted to put a full set of pedals underneath and have them positioned correctly. Still love your stand, too, tho! Esp. for a non-pedals situation.
Bcprods

Postby mdlieb » 22 Nov 2014, 16:14

How sturdy is the stand? Is it really useable for live performances. I'm considering having Byron make a stand for my nord stage 2 for some of the larger venues I play.
thanks...Mitch
mdlieb

Postby Bcprods » 22 Nov 2014, 23:32

Very sturdy. Once the back clicks into place with its bed frame mortise&tenon fittings, it's the sturdiest stand I have. Plus I have used a couple of adhesive-backed 3M Dual-Lock strips on the front-supports and the bottom of my C2D so it really locks into the 'nest'. The rear rubber feet of the C2D sit in holes,
the locations of which you can customize.
Bcprods

PreviousNext

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum