Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: amplification

Postby cphollis » 24 Oct 2014, 22:06

AlQuinn wrote:I now own a pair of RCF TT08A's. They do a great job of bringing out the beauty of the Nord piano samples, however they are expensive.

You and I see this the same way. When I was looking at high-end self-powered PA equipment, the TT08A's were certainly on my list, and *very* impressive. However, I sometimes play in loud electric bands, so I needed something that could project a bit more. Actually, a lot more.

I ended up with a pair of Fulcrum Acoustic FA12ac units which I simply adore. For what I do, they are amazing. I wouldn't recommend them for intimate jazz settings, though -- your TT08A's strike me as a better choice. The Meyers and L'Acoustics were also darn impressive. Also we are talking a price category that most people won't even begin to consider.

I kept my fleet of QSCs simply because they're quite useful: small PA for a band, floor monitors, very small gigs, etc. There is nothing as convenient as a pair of K8s. None of this QSC K series line approaches the sonic fidelity of the high-end units, but that's OK for many situations.

As I point out in the blog posts, the hard part here is figuring out how different alternatives will work for you. You're not sure of that until you've used them for a few gigs, and then it's too late to return them, etc. So many of us end up churning through a lot of different equipment, keeping some, selling others.

Sort of like keyboards :)
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
lamplighter
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby AlQuinn » 24 Oct 2014, 22:45

Wow, the Fulcrum Acoustics must sound great. Too heavy for me though.
Last edited by AlQuinn on 25 Oct 2014, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
AlQuinn

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby zephonic » 19 Nov 2014, 18:25

My NP generally sounds great on studio monitors, but live speakers can be hit-and-miss. It sounds nice on the $150 Behringer B208D, but painfully harsh on the $400 EV ZLX12P. I'm thinking of exchanging it for a JBL EON 610 as soon as it becomes available here.
zephonic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum