All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Roland KC880

Postby cphollis » 14 Nov 2014, 07:03

I think the reason you haven't seen much about it -- even though it's been out for a while -- is that it has a reputation that isn't that great with most gigging musicians.

One debate is keyboard amps vs. self-powered PA units. There are fans of both, but -- generally speaking -- the recent trend has been with the latter.

Another factor is weight. This beast is close to 100 pounds! That would be a deal-killer for most people, unless you like Olympic weightlifting. Finally, there are a lot of people who have had poor experiences running acoustic piano sounds through the other KC models. If you want a broader perspective, head over to the Keyboard Corner forum -- plenty of opinions there.

I know you're looking for simplicity, but most of us have resigned to carrying around a low-end mixer for our boards. Maybe it sounds nice to have this built into the amp, but don't go there, you won't be happy!

One exception -- there's a new self-contained stereo amp in the US called the SpaceStation v3 (from Center Point Stereo). I've got one, and it's the first keyboard amp I haven't loathed -- great for B3 w/leslie, or any stereo sound.

Best of luck ...
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby elektromin » 14 Nov 2014, 09:39

The biggest problem with floor speakers is that the audience will not hear the treble. Those high frequencies are lost when something comes between the sound source and the ear. That's why the sound guys always put the treble speakers up high above the heads of the audience, so that everyone can see them.

With that in mind, a keyboard amp might be ok as a monitor or in a rehearsal room, but not as main sound on stage.

If you want something portable, easy to set up and with great sound, you should take a look at those Bose sticks (L1 compact), since they also solve that treble problem. But I guess you still would need two of them to get stereo.

Good luck!
elektromin
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cphollis » 14 Nov 2014, 18:24

Actually, there are a lot of good choices with self-powered PAs on poles and a small mixer -- something to fit almost every price range, they sound great, they are relatively simple to set up, flexible placement, easy to carry, etc. etc. If I were you, I'd give those a thorough look before moving ahead on a dedicated keyboard amp.

I have a small fleet of different QSC K series that I use, usually in pairs. Also popular: EV ZLX12P and similar, Yamaha DXR series and several others. For the same money as you're considering, you'll end up with far better sound. If I want small and simple stereo, I'm starting to use the aforementioned SpaceStation v3.

BTW, a pair of Bose L1 Model II with bass modules would set you back over $5K here in the US. That's serious money, and there are some wonderful alternatives in that price range.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification