General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord Stage and MIDI tutorial

Postby JeffWraight » 31 May 2014, 09:53

Hi Toro,

Your tutorial is very helpful. Thankyou very much.

I have a question about using the Stage 2 with my DAW. It appears that the mapping of the controllers is fixed. As a starting point I opened up Native instruments B4 and have been attempting to use the Nord to control the software on the B4. As a 'for instance' some of the drawbars are matched, others control totally different sections of the B4. The modwheel on the Nord controls the rotor on the B4 as another instance. It seems that I cannot change the control numbers in either the Nord or the B4. So my question is....... Is there any way to remap the control numbers. I am thinking possibly in the terms of a software program that will do this. Or have I missed something obvious?

It's not a big deal, but I would be interested in using the Nord drawbars for instance to control the faders in Cubase, etc.

Apart from that I am really happy with my 4 week old Nord Stage 2 and all of the features are coming into focus more each day.

Kind regards

Jeff Wraight
JeffWraight

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby Sknowman » 16 Sep 2014, 00:24

Many thanks, Henrik.

Keep up the good work...
Sknowman

Postby pablomastodon » 16 Sep 2014, 01:16

To Sknowman, Henrik has not visited this forum in nearly half a year and the OP was written nearly 3-1/2 years ago... I'm sure that sentiment is well-placed, but as a practical matter....

To Jeff Wright, MIDI-OX can be used to remap controllers. I would think that any high-powered DAW could do the same...

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Johannes
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby JoeKey » 15 Oct 2014, 10:43

Hi Henrik and all other being involved in this,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this editorial. I think that's exactly what I have been looking for. I spent the entire weekend to find out why I always heard the sounds coming from my slave, a Korg 01W/FD, on the NS2.

I will work through your manual tonight and hope to find all I need.

Being a newcomer with MIDI and NS2 I appreciate your time having spent to help others.

Have a great day.

:thanx:

Joe
Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Nord Stage 2, Nord Electro 6D, Nord Lead A1, Roland A-90, Roland Jupiter-50, Roland FA-06, Roland BK-7m, Roland SC-880, Korg Krome 73, Korg 01W/FD, Solton MS-100, Yamaha FP-100
JoeKey

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby JoeKey » 16 Oct 2014, 10:34

Hi all,

I just try to get familiar with the extern section of my NS2.

Everthing is fine so far but I'm not able to store extern bank and program commands togetehr with my program. Bank select and program change, volume etc. work fine after editing in the EXTERN. Then I store my program (incl. the extern settings) e.g. in bank D of my NS2.

When I change an internal program the extern setting remains the same. Now I change the external sound and store this setting as well.

When returning to my first setting I have the external sound of the 2nd setting.

What do I do wrong ?

My Extern MIDI mode is global.

Hopefully somebody can help me - thanks a lot in advance.

Joe
Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Nord Stage 2, Nord Electro 6D, Nord Lead A1, Roland A-90, Roland Jupiter-50, Roland FA-06, Roland BK-7m, Roland SC-880, Korg Krome 73, Korg 01W/FD, Solton MS-100, Yamaha FP-100
JoeKey

Postby pablomastodon » 16 Oct 2014, 15:14

Hi Joe,

Cruise down to the far end of the External Menu and you will find a setting which says something along the lines of: TRANSMIT ON LOAD or SEND ON LOAD.. Set this to YES/ON (don't recall which word is used) and you'll be smiling.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby JoeKey » 16 Oct 2014, 15:26

Hi Pablo,

that sounds great - I like smiling :D !

I will follow your hint tonight - thank you so much in advance.

BTW: Did I understand it right that the EXT settings for each program can be made

• either by using the rotary encoder in the EXT section
  • or directly in the EXTERN menu?

Either way settings in the [shift] [EXTERN] menu are being stored individually with each program - in contrary to the [shift] [MIDI] menu settings which are global ?

... so much to learn ...

BR

Joe
Last edited by JoeKey on 16 Oct 2014, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
JoeKey

Postby pablomastodon » 16 Oct 2014, 19:42

Hi Joe,

Program Change, Volume and Midi CC Value settings can be made either from the rotary encoder in the EXT section or directly in the EXTERN Menu. All other settings (bank select, midi channel, Midi CC #, etc.) can only be made from within menu.

The EXTERN Menu allows the user to choose whether Global or Program. You've already told us that you have Extern Mode set to Global. When set to Global, one can assign midi channels to Extern A and Extern B only once and these settings will apply to ALL programs. When set to Program, one can choose to assign different midi channels for Extern A/B for each program.

Generally, it may be best to leave it set to Global and keep your setup simple until you've been working it that way for a while and gotten more experience/comfort with the whole concept. Eventually, you may arrive at a point where you wish to have different programs utilize different midi channels -- then you'll want to switch the Extern Mode setting to Program.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby JoeKey » 17 Oct 2014, 11:26

pablomastodon wrote:Hi Joe,

Program Change, Volume and Midi CC Value settings can be made either from the rotary encoder in the EXT section or directly in the EXTERN Menu. All other settings (bank select, midi channel, Midi CC #, etc.) can only be made from within menu.

The EXTERN Menu allows the user to choose whether Global or Program. You've already told us that you have Extern Mode set to Global. When set to Global, one can assign midi channels to Extern A and Extern B only once and these settings will apply to ALL programs. When set to Program, one can choose to assign different midi channels for Extern A/B for each program.

Generally, it may be best to leave it set to Global and keep your setup simple until you've been working it that way for a while and gotten more experience/comfort with the whole concept. Eventually, you may arrive at a point where you wish to have different programs utilize different midi channels -- then you'll want to switch the Extern Mode setting to Program.

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

I smiled all night long :D

Thanks for your help.

Have a great weekend

Joe
JoeKey

Postby JoeKey » 05 Nov 2014, 16:26

Hi all,

I'm now familiar with getting programs (=sounds) from my KORG 01W to my NS2 via MIDI.

However there is another big task for me.

As you might know KORG differentiates between programs and combinations (= set of max. 8 programs), each of them in a bank A and a bank B. So the 01W hat 100 programs in bank A and 100 programs in bank B, as well as 100 combinations in bank A and 100 in bank B.

My question is: Is there a MIDI command for my NS2 that allows me to not only switch from one sound (program) to another but to switch from programs to combinations and viceversa, too. E.g. from PROGRAM A21 to COMBINATION B41.

I think that there is a command that makes that possible.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks so much in advance.

Joe
JoeKey

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum