Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: polyphony

Postby wartaler » 29 Sep 2014, 22:51

Some things I've read on the net I wanted to share:

Interfaces (like mine) that do not require driver installation rely on the standard drivers of the computer's operating system, theoretically with every new version of the operating system there is a risk they stop working properly. Microsoft recently fixed an issue with Win8.1 where some USB MIDI interfaces didn't work properly when connected to USB3 ports. So there could also be some specific compatibility issues with Apple products with some MIDI interfaces..

I have no deep knowledge of MIDI interfaces and their electronics, but I think the guys here do:
http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap- ... -required/
I think the conclusion is this: possibly to reduce production costs, some manufactures started simplifying the design of their USB-MIDI interfaces, making them non-compliant with MIDI standards, and incompatible with some (but not all!) MIDI devices (they tested it with synths).. I have an older version of the E-MU Xmidi 1x1, that works like a charm, but who knows the current version also contains this cheap wiring. [EDIT: the new ones work excellent !!]

Some interfaces require special drivers provided by the manufacturers, how well they work depends on how well these drivers are written and kept up to date. I've also heard, and read some negative stories about some big brand expensive interfaces in this regard..

many people here seem to have problems with their MIDI interfaces and some of the problems I think have to do with crappy quality and design.. Perhaps Nord could add MIDI over USB in a future ND model

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 30 Jan 2015, 11:38, edited 7 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Postby Feutnes » 04 Oct 2014, 17:38

Hello, the E-MU 1x1 is here, I have tested it and works perfectly. Thanks again
Feutnes

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum