This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord Stage 2 issue video

Postby Thortschman » 17 Sep 2014, 19:45

Hi pterm

I tried to get the freeze, but I really faild, I already changed the Program weeks ago. I hope that was just a very "strange" setting for the Stage to handle, maybe just a knob in the wrong value and the software crashed?!

But why do you think the freezes cause is different?
By the way, I didn't recognized that the light of the LEDs increased. But I'm really not sure!

regards, thortschman

The author Thortschman was thanked by:
pterm
Thortschman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Sponsor

Postby pterm » 17 Sep 2014, 20:17

Hi Thorschman,
Thanks for trying to reproduce this. I appreciate your efforts.

I think what you saw differed from esroberto's experience in two key ways:
1. It depended upon the configuration of the instrument.
2. It depended upon the playing style.

In esroberto's case, neither of these seem to be factors (although, we await his confirmation of this).

Because your case depended on these two things, it suggests a software dependency (for the configuration) and a software-hardware interaction for the playing style.

Going back to the possible lock-up causes from the Freescale (microprocessor) website:

1) Make sure that the Bus Timeout timer is set correctly (should be from reset).
2) Make sure that there is a service routine that either resets the devices or pulls the stack frame from the stack.
3) Turn off BDM mode. This will eliminate the BKPT as an issue.
4) Make Very sure that the test pin is grounded! This is the only thing that will kill the CPU.
5) Check for good strong up/downs on CLKMOD pins.
6) Implement a watch dog timer.
7) Fill all unused memory with a trapf instruction and of course have the vector and recovery routine. This will regain control if the CPU fast than an illegal op code.

I think items 6 or 7 might contribute:
These two items exist to return the processor to a "reset" state if for some reason it "locks up". One common way this occurs is if the microprocessor erroneously tries to go to an invalid memory address.
A common way for this to happen occurs if electronic noise (typically MHz frequencies, not audible) adversely affects the memory address wires. In electronic devices, noise rises with microprocessor activity, so this agrees with your use case. -Both for the signal processing complexity and the rapid key activity.
A second noise source comes from mechanical vibration: The ceramic capacitors used in electronics act as tiny microphones. Mechanical vibrations change the shape of these capacitors and this creates an electrical noise signal on the wires connected to the capacitor. This seems a possibility, since your problem occurred under glissando playing.
Normally, these noise sources remain low enough they do not cause errors. However, they can combine if they occur simultaneously. In your case, the high processing activity and high vibration activity increase the possibility of this occurring.

For this to cause the lock up suggests that Nord did not implement items #6 and #7 on the operating system load you used when you saw this. If they fixed this in more recent OS load, it should not "lock up" again.

This is just the theory. I only speculate about what Nord might really be doing.

Best regards,
-pterm

P.S. I really enjoy your youtube "keyboard cam" videos. I found them a few months ago searching for Nord-related videos on youtube. The music is great and they are fun to watch!

The author pterm was thanked by:
Thortschman
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Thortschman » 17 Sep 2014, 21:34

Hi pterm,

thank you very much for you explanation, really interesting! And I hope this is the issue, so it should be solved. It would be worse when this happens on stage -> I made the program for Deep Purples "Burn" and the Freeze exactly happened two time in the Hammond/Synth Solo :thumbdown:

Maybe I will upload a new Video when I performed that Song live in October :keyboard: Nice to hear, that you like this Videos :thanks:

regards, thortschman
Last edited by Thortschman on 17 Sep 2014, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Thortschman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum