Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

Nord Modular G1 used

Postby zeninjam » 17 Sep 2014, 09:17

I've seen a Nord Mod used, and the seller described the item honestly, in detail. Everything seems to be in order, the pictures show the usual wear, so it seems a good deal overall, apart from the following. "The only slight problem that it has developed I will now try to describe as best I can. Sometimes, if I assign 18 different parameter to the 18 knobs, physically turning knobs 11, 14, 17 will not only adjust the parameters that I assigned to those knobs but also the parameters assigned to knobs 12, 15, and 18. And very occasionally the parameters assigned to knobs 12, 15 and 18 will random change to a different value than they should be at. So long as there is nothing assigned to those knobs there will not be a problem. This may actually be a bug with the Mac OS X software that I have been using it with; As far as I can recall this problem didn't happen when I ran the PC version, but I don't have a PC here to check that out."
Any ideas? Is it worth it? The owner didn't write the OS, but i guess it's 3.03.
Thanks!
zeninjam

Nord Modular G1 used

Sponsor

Re: Nord Modular G1 used

Postby pablomastodon » 17 Sep 2014, 09:47

Always best to leave diagnosis to the tech who has it open on the bench, but here's my thoughts:

Almost certainly has nothing to do with Mac OSX software. More likely it involves a scanning IC responsible for reading rotary encoder movements and is mixing things up. Those parts are generally easily available on the open market and cost almost nothing (~3/$1), but will require a serious pro tech to diagnose and install.

You didn't mention how much this Seller is asking, so how is anyone to offer you an opinion on "is it worth it?" Dude suggesting that the problem will magically go away when programmed using PC software is probably BS and I would not pay full price, but if Seller is offering discount, perhaps it is worth it.

Good luck!

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Modular Forum