Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 2 transpose midi or not

Postby MrMontana » 29 Aug 2014, 12:53

Hi!

I'm in the middle of buying (or not buying) a Nord Piano 2 HP. One thing however is a deal breaker for me: it MUST be able to play the transposed key AND send the transposed key via midi. If I set the transposition to +1 for instance and play a C, the piano MUST sound the C# and it MUST also send a C# thru midi. Is this doable or not? I've read in the manual that this works, but I've also read on forums that it doesn't work. Which is it?

Im a pianist and singer and I use the piano to play on (of course) and also to control my voice harmony pedal via midi. If the piano would sound in one (transposed) key and at the same time send UN-transposed notes to the harmony pedal this would be a HUGE PROBLEM and definitely a deal breaker for me.

Somebody, please enlighten me.

Regards
MrMontana

Nord Piano 2 transpose midi or not

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 2 transpose midi or not

Postby maxpiano » 29 Aug 2014, 13:08

Topic already discussed, here https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-piano-forum-f10/piano-2-doesn-t-transpose-midi-t5372.html?hilit=Transpose%20midi#p34230 and the answer unfortunately is negative.

Nord Stage2 can do it using the Extern section, but NP2 can't
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Aug 2014, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby RedLeo » 30 Aug 2014, 01:47

Does your harmony pedal perhaps have the ability to transpose keys?
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 30 Aug 2014, 12:37

It is curious that Clavia has not implemented an OS switch to enable transposing to MIDI output.

Other non-ideal alternatives:
With a computer + MIDIOx or similar program: do the transposing outside the instrument for the Harmonizer. The down side is that you need to set this twice (on the kbd and on MIDIOx).
A work around would be to create a chain: transpose in the computer and then send 2 MIDI signals out. One to the harmonizer pedal and the other back to the Nord MIDI input. You need to switch off the Local control (i.e. Local Off, noting that this gets reset when you restart the kbd) to avoid a MIDI loop.

You can also do this without a computer: a MID transposer box + a MIDI Thru box (to get two outputs). You might get away using a Y MIDI cable (Yes... I know that they should not be used, yet people report that they work).
Or, if the Harmonizer has a MIDI Thru, you save the Thru box: send MIDI from Nord to Transpose box, then from the box to Harmonizer MIDI In and from the latter's MIDI Thru back to the Nord MIDI In (still you need Local OFF).
This device http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm seems to be able to transpose, although it does not have buttons to transpose around. Not sure how it works.

A last alternative would be to make your own transposer with an arduino board and two buttons (up and down). The advantage is that you probably can also add another MIDI output, but not everybody is keen on spending time doing such projects.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum