This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Reverse-Engineering Nord piano format

Postby cleito » 28 Aug 2014, 17:39

Hello :D
I see some people with older NS versions asking about getting other sounds in the piano section and as I play games and see some guys hacking and modifying games and consoles I was wondering if it is possible to someone with this kind of knowledge to reverse engineering the audio format from nord.
Here is something I found about doing it, maybe is something similar?

http://www.slideshare.net/ayeceebee/reverseengineering-a-proprietary-sound-sample-format

:keyboard2:
cleito

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Reverse-Engineering Nord piano format

Sponsor

Re: Reverse-Engineering Nord piano format

Postby Marlowes » 28 Aug 2014, 18:05

Ola Cleito!

I have not heard of anyone succeeding with this.
Elektromin probably could. He has a MSc in stuff like that. And other dudes on this eminent forum. But they will not. It is not ethical.
It is a proprietary format. You are not supposed to temper with that. Probably even illegal.

Do like I did - buy a Stage 2 and be very happy. 8-)

/Amicalement
Michael in Scania
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby Johannes » 28 Aug 2014, 18:15

Interesting presentation, and well explained even for laymen!
For the Nord formats would be much more complex though. Maybe single layer nsmp files could in theory be reverse engineered, but still all the settings, locations, loop points, key assignments etc. would be lost or be recovered in an endless try and error procedure.
For the Piano format it would be infinitively more difficult given the multiple layers and algorithms Nord uses it to compress the sample etc.

For one shot samples such as drums it is a nice exercise and works well. But limited to very few settings (such as the mono/stereo one), plus only can be sued with a known audio format such as wave/aiff in this case. With custom compression it is next to impossible me thinks.

So I agree with Michael: If you want the sounds buy one of the boards ;-) If you want to use sample playback, you can always get a good piano VSTi, or sample library...
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cleito » 28 Aug 2014, 19:16

alright.
Just to be clear, I have a NS2, but if that was possible, those with NS classic and EX could have fun with more sounds.
And also the NS2 could use it for something.
anyway, hope this can be made possible from the nord company itself.
cleito

Postby RedLeo » 29 Aug 2014, 01:24

cleito wrote:anyway, hope this can be made possible from the nord company itself.

There is *no* chance of this happening. Otherwise people could have the Nord piano sounds without ever buying a Nord instrument, which is the last thing that Nord (or any company) would want.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby cleito » 29 Aug 2014, 05:14

RedLeo wrote:
There is *no* chance of this happening. Otherwise people could have the Nord piano sounds without ever buying a Nord instrument, which is the last thing that Nord (or any company) would want.

Ok. Right.
Maybe a different format open to the public to put our own sounds in the piano section?
The format from the sample section could work too.
Last edited by cleito on 29 Aug 2014, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
cleito

Postby maxpiano » 29 Aug 2014, 09:35

I don't think Nord has any commercial interest in expanding the capabilities of the old EX, when you buy (bought) it you know (knew) what it can do and what it can't; if you need more the NS2 is the answer.
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Aug 2014, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum