The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Nord c2/c2d X Keyb Duo X Crumar Mojo help me!

Postby flmc59 » 25 May 2012, 23:58

The stage organ engine is perhaps not the one to use for a benchmark Nord / Vs Mojo. Use the c2 (updated to latest version) or the C2D
Last edited by flmc59 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
flmc59

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Nord c2/c2d X Keyb Duo X Crumar Mojo help me!

Sponsor

Re: Nord c2/c2d X Keyb Duo X Crumar Mojo help me!

Postby robnuckels » 26 May 2012, 00:53

flmc59 wrote : The stage organ engine is perhaps not the one to use for a benchmark Nord / Vs Mojo. Use the c2 (updated to latest version) or the C2D'

You got THAT right !
Last edited by robnuckels on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
robnuckels

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby dazzjazz » 26 May 2012, 01:45

Everything I hear about the Mojo is positive. However, with no dealer/repair network I'd be very nervous if anything went wrong and I need a replacement for an important gig in a hurry. If they want to be successful they should try to get this sorted.

Darren
Last edited by dazzjazz on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
dazzjazz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby JoeCool » 26 May 2012, 22:12

Well, I am a NS 2 owner now, but as I find myself playing jazz organ most of the time, a two manual organ is an option (perhaps next year). The mojo sounds very interesting indeed, and from a price-performance ratio point of view it is the best imho. It has not one hammond organ sound, it has 20! That already makes a difference.
On the other hand, with my personal musical background I very much appreciate that sampled baroque organ in the Nord. I have a cupboard full of pipe organ music for an organ just like this, would be so nice to have an opportunity to practice that at home too. And I still hope that nord will bring out an organ with space for at least two piano sounds asap. Just to have rhodes and one acoustic piano available.
In the end all of the actual "clones" will be usable, the audience will not tell the differences, but will perhaps continue to ask why you don't play that damned "real thing".

Gerd
Last edited by JoeCool on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
JoeCool

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Mooser » 13 Jul 2012, 21:27

The Nord organ is flexible, too. Between the 3-band equalizer, reverb effects, amp modeling, delay, vintage 1-4 and other options in the "sound" menu, it should be possible to make it sound almost any way you like. And then you get to your own board or amp, which can further modify the sound. And nothing I've seen is so light, and one-package portable. You can't make it sound like everything all the time, but it should be possible to make it sound like almost anything you want. And the programmimg is simple, and fast. It won't automatically make the right Hammond sound right out of the box, but you can probably get it to make the sounds you want without driving yourself crazy in the process. Remember, any external sounds you desire can be played through the Midi keyboards of the C2. The Nord also updates through a simple USB hookup, and we've already seen Nord is not selfish about supplying organ updates to owners of older instruments when possible.
I've had mine for about 7mos and it seems to be as solid as a brick!
Another thing which just occurred to me: When I first got mine, before I had really learned how to set it up, and how it should work with my amps, all kinds of people were telling me how much like a Hammond Leslie it sounded, and looking back, it sounded pretty bad then. So between one thing and another, I don't think you can really go wrong if you choose the Nord C2/C2D. And if you can get hold of decent Leslie to play it through, you're 3/4 of the way there, as soon as you turn it on. Using amps, and/or PA and leslie sim can get a bit more complicated.
From what I've seen, when you add it all up, you can't lose with the C2/C2D
Last edited by Mooser on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby Gustavo » 14 Jul 2012, 23:27

Personally, I am not a Hammond purist and I would go with the Nord C2 (not D) just because it has the leds, which seem much more helpful in dark situations and when you change patches.

Yet comparing all the Hammond Clones, if I had to choose just one as my only keyboard, I´d go with the SK-2.

Here is a video list that shows the Mojo, C2D and SK-2 first impressions on Keyboard Magazine. http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/dual ... yed/148943
Last edited by Gustavo on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby Michael Wright » 15 Jul 2012, 19:17

dazzjazz wrote:Everything I hear about the Mojo is positive. However, with no dealer/repair network I'd be very nervous if anything went wrong and I need a replacement for an important gig in a hurry. If they want to be successful they should try to get this sorted.

Darren

I agree Darren. The Mojo has got my attention, but I too have concerns about
possible support requirements. Mike
Last edited by Michael Wright on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Wright
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby Juan Rossi » 19 Aug 2014, 05:00

Hi, everybody. I'm also Brazilian and fond of B3 sounds, just have 56 years and 38 in music. At the moment, acquired a Crumar Burn Italian Electronic Digital Leslie Multieffector, very close to a Ventilator, trying to modificate my national Tokai TX5 61 Keys Waterfall Plus. My Lower is a weighted P95 Yamaha 88 Keys. My Pedal is a 13-note antique Minami Midi with a Behringer Stereo Volume, heard in a PX100 Sennheiser auriculars - my JBL Monitor Ones or amplified monitors just don't deliver adequate dimension and flatness to organ sounds.
Before the Crumar have uselesly tried to tweak internal parameters of this organ - and notice they are really formidable and many(!): 91 or 82 wheels, normal or flat loudness, types of organ, types of click, resonance, microphone distance, woofer size, velocity of horn, etc. - and have no achieved a good fast leslie response, more a vibrato sense of motion, distortion not so good. My reference was my old italian Giannini 2-rotor 100 Watts Leslie with my old Farfisa Professional Duo.
Now, tried to abandon Leslie at all in my Tokai keyboard and I'm experimenting with the new Burn. The Fast got much better, not the Slow. But, surprisingly, if I mixture vibrato and chorus more this fast Burn Leslie the result is thunderous!! The distortion of the valve also was overall better!
Well. By now I'm just deciding to change for a better keyboard, instead of two. To the extent I perceive this in reality doesn't exist. There are limitations and nuances in all the possibilities.
For example, If I buy a fantastic Mojo, will have to get rid of my organ at least and this one just will serve to my tastes, not to gig - in São Paulo we gig with pianos in general. If I buy a C2D, will gain also a pipe organ, but, again, won't serve me to gig. Equally, a Hammond Xk-1c will be a perfect Hammond, but with just an unique set of drawbars. And with a Nord Stage HA76, more expensive, I must get ride of my 2 keyboards and will gain the best of various worlds: organ, synth, piano and no good drawbars at all. A Numa is cheaper and the sound is fantastic, closer to a Hammond, but has just a set of drawbars, pity! Would have to gig with my Yamaha again.
Lets wake up! There's no such thing like perfect keyboards. Shall depend on you!!
Last edited by Juan Rossi on 19 Aug 2014, 05:33, edited 3 times in total.
Juan Rossi

Postby Six-string-man » 19 Aug 2014, 12:24

I was in a similar position to you last year. I rejected the Hammond, because it only had one set of drawbars, and didn't sound as good as the others. I rejected the Keyb, because it was too expensive.

This brought it to a straight fight between the C2D and the Mojo. I was very tempted by the extra drawbars on the Nord, but the Crumar just SOUNDED better to my ears, so I bought that.

The good news:
1. The drawbars on the Mojo are very solid.
2. You have a choice of 20 different tonewheel sounds, it's like having 20 slightly different organs.
3. The Crumar is a LOT cheaper.
4. The sound of the MOJO is just amazing.
5. There is a Rhodes and a Wurli built in to the Mojo.
6. Crumar keep coming out with free downloadable updates and improvements.
7. The service from Crumar is fantastic! When I ordered, Guido from the factory kept me informed every step of the way. The operating system is very stable, and I have had no problems.

I am very happy with my choice, and wouldn't swap my MOJO for any of the others.

SSM
Last edited by Six-string-man on 19 Aug 2014, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
Six-string-man

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby The Franchise » 20 Aug 2014, 20:26

Here's a good video demonstrating and giving pretty unbiased overviews of 3 of the favorites. Came from Keyboard Magazine.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/du ... ness/28935

The author The Franchise was thanked by:
Nordlicht
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

PreviousNext

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum