Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

CH.1 MIDI activates on each note

Postby ceymore » 25 Jun 2014, 19:43

Hey guys,

Maybe a newbie question, i just received my nd2 yesterday -
I've been trying to set up my nord drum to use with BitWig. I am sending MIDI Out from my card to nd2. I did the steps to assign different notes on my MIDI kbd for the 6 separate channels. The thing is channel 1 is present on every note that my midi sends out. Even if I learn this note to channel 2, channel 1 is still activating simultaneously. Please help!
ceymore

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

CH.1 MIDI activates on each note

Sponsor

Re: CH.1 MIDI activates on each note

Postby wartaler » 26 Jun 2014, 00:02

Hi!

In the MIDI menu, you can set the Global MIDI channel [GL.xx] but you can also assign an individual MIDI channel [Ch.yy] to each of the 6 Channels of the ND2.

Perhaps you accidentally set the individual MIDI channel of Channel1 to the same as your Global MIDI channel, if so, either set it to a different MIDI channel, - or in case you're not using the indiv. MIDI channel option, select Off [Ch.OF] on Channel1

so that the 6 Channels will only respond to the set notes (60, ...) played on the Global MIDI channel..
see pages 28 and 29 of the manual for further details...

It's so cool what you can do with the ND2 and MIDI, quite unique and very flexible, but I can imagine it's a bit confusing for some at first
Last edited by wartaler on 26 Jun 2014, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
ceymore
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby pablomastodon » 26 Jun 2014, 05:36

Hi Ceymore,

Wartaler is 100% correct. The ND2's available midi routing schemes are very flexible and provide radically different ways to play the instrument. Basically, these are:

1) feed the unit note data addressing all six available voices on a single midi channel, with each voice assigned to a single note on that channel, or
2) assign each of the six available voices to a different midi channel.

Using method 2 provides the possibility to play each of the six voices chromatically (to the extent that they may be tuned to a pitch). One thing to watch out for when using this mode, is to ensure that the Global Midi Channel is set to something different from the six voice channels. Similarly, when using mode 1 above you'll want to ensure that none of the individual voice channels are set to the Global Midi Channel. Keeping these settings separate will keep your midi situation simpler and give you reliably consistent performance.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
ceymore
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby ceymore » 26 Jun 2014, 09:10

Hey guys,

This is exactly what happened, the Channel 1 on ND2 was on MIDI CH.1, it is now fixed

Thank you all for the quick and adequate answer!
ceymore

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum