Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: EPiano sounds

Postby Leo Castro » 28 May 2014, 12:22

Time for new pianos?
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby maxpiano » 28 May 2014, 13:20

bootch wrote:Thank you all for your comments and opinions. There is probably no way to get more EP sounds into NP2HP apart from those 7 EPs and 2 Wurlies available in the sound library, am I right?

You may try to load sampled EPs from the Nord Sample Library or this forum's equivalent section, but they would be based on 1 layer samples so.. still you may find something you like. But let me say it again: first try to use the EQ and also the Amp Sims, they can change the timbre quite dramatically.
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Jun 2014, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gustavo » 01 Jun 2014, 06:38

Yes, the only way to get dynamic EP sounds is the Clavia Piano Library.

You may create your own sample, but the nord samples only have 1 velocity layer, so that means it wouldn't be very dynamic. Other than that if you are not satisfied with a EP Sample, then use effects!
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby cphollis » 21 Jun 2014, 06:45

I find the Nord Rhodes more than adequate -- after you EQ it, dial in effects, etc. The new amped Wurlies and Rhodes are big fun, I use them all the time. The best Rhodes I've played was on the Yamaha CP1/CP5/CP50. I can only assume they brought the voice forward on their newer models. A joy it was.

Agree with Pablo, if you've ever owned a real Rhodes, they were hard to make sound good.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Dave Ferris » 22 Jun 2014, 00:33

I think the Nord Rhodes are WAY MORE then fine for about 85% of normal applications. I mainly use the sparkletop or bright tines.

I will say though- after owning the CP4 for a tad over a month and doing quite a bit of A-B ing- I find the CP4's RD75 to be a little thicker and smoother on the top end then the aforementioned two rhodes I've been using. Seems to sustain and in general just "sing out" better too. If Nord could get the MK I to be a little thicker, closer to the sparkletop- I think the advantage would tip back over to the Nords for the Rhodes. To my ears, the tone on the MK I is more pure and realistic then the Yamaha , but just not as fat sounding for live stuff.

The Nord Wurlis have the edge for realism over the Yamaha though.

Any digital keyboard is going to sound thin next to real a Rhodes. Especially live.

My 2 cents from a guy who used to own 5 Rhodes back in the day. But today, doesn't rely heavily on them like a lot of people do.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88
Dave Ferris

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum