Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Need help using the Akai Professional MPK49

Postby Jericho-79 » 10 Jun 2014, 09:48

I used to own a Casio CTK-6250 portable keyboard that had built-in tones. In addition to the Nord Electro 2, I'm interested in the Akai Professional MPK49 (or MPK61).

From what I understand, Akai Professional MPK49 is a MIDI/USB "keyboard controller" that creates sounds via computer software digital audio workstation. Apparently, it is very useful in the studio.

But what about live performances?

Can the Akai Professional MPK49 be played on stage like the Nord Electro 2?

I mean- I was thinking that I could just go on stage, hook up the Akai Professional MPK49 to a power source, turn on the main power, and start playing a piano melody (using a built-in tone).

Or does the Akai Professional MPK49 need to be interfaced with a computer (with the DAW running) at all times?

Can the Akai Professional MPK49 act as a stand-alone instrument at gigs?

Is it accurate that Akai Professional MPK49 will not produce any musical sounds unless it is networked with computer software?

Please advise, everyone.
Jericho-79

Need help using the Akai Professional MPK49

Sponsor

Re: Need help using the Akai Professional MPK49

Postby elektromin » 11 Jun 2014, 15:12

I'm sorry, the MPK49 is strictly a controller. It does not produce any sound, it does not even have audio outputs.

However, with just the addition of a smart phone and a midi interface, you can use the controller to play any midi-capable apps in the phone.

Good luck,
/Anders
elektromin
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum