Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Roland RD700NX or Kurzweil Artis

Postby danvb01 » 01 Jun 2014, 20:28

I just to be a Nord Piano 2 owner... but I had an accident and my NP2 is not working at all, since NP2 is expensive in my country, I'm planning to purchase a second hand stage piano and I want to hear your recommendations regarding Roland RD700 NX vs Kurzweil Artis.

Both have similar functionality, 4 sliders for layering (which this is what I look for) and great sounds.

From your perspective which have the best piano sound? for me this is the trigger to make the decision. I'm looking for very good realism... in youtube a have looked a lot of videos and seems that both are very similar... but I have never heard those in real life, that's why I'm looking to your opinion.

Thanks
danvb01

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Roland RD700NX or Kurzweil Artis

Sponsor

Re: Roland RD700NX or Kurzweil Artis

Postby Mr_-G- » 01 Jun 2014, 21:22

Hi, wouldn't it be cheaper to fix your NP2 than buying something else?

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
danvb01
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby anotherscott » 01 Jun 2014, 23:13

I haven't played the Artis, but from what I've heard, I'd probably prefer its piano sound... but that's subjective, you're just as likely to prefer the Roland. I think the bigger difference might be in how they feel. Personally, from what I know of them and my experience with other similar models, I'd probably pick the Kurzweil for sound and the Roland for action. And if you're criteria is four sliders, I'd also take a look at the Kawai MP7 (or, if you're on a tighter budget, maybe its predecessor, the MP6).

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
danvb01
anotherscott

Postby danvb01 » 02 Jun 2014, 00:10

Mr_-G- wrote:Hi, wouldn't it be cheaper to fix your NP2 than buying something else?

As far as I understood from the distributor in my country, the only way to repair it is replacing the two general internal "green tablets" which at the end is like to purchase a new NP2.
danvb01

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby Gustavo » 02 Jun 2014, 09:11

danvb01 wrote:
Mr_-G- wrote:Hi, wouldn't it be cheaper to fix your NP2 than buying something else?

As far as I understood from the distributor in my country, the only way to repair it is replacing the two general internal "green tablets" which at the end is like to purchase a new NP2.

Isn't there since kind of warranty? I'd try very hard and insistently to get it fixed or at least a quote for how much it costs to get it fixed , and even analyze if getting a new keyboard is truly less expensive than repairing.

Personally, i haven't tried any Kurz in a serious way. But I have to say my second favorite stage piano are the Kawai, they ask have great action and great piano and ep sounds.

But from those two options you mention, and just based on sound from demos, I incline towards the Artis

Saludos,
Gustavo
Last edited by Gustavo on 02 Jun 2014, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby sakari » 02 Jun 2014, 12:06

I prefer Kurz's sound to Roland's, but everyone's ears are different.......
Stage 2 88
Roland td9+td6v drums
Gibson (E) and Norman (A) guitars, Line6 Pod XTL
Fender J-bass, Boss GT-10B
lots of headphones
3 shelter cats
Reason 6.5 Cubase 6.5 Artist, Sibelius 7, Garritan GPO JABB, EWQL SC
IPAD 2 with soft synths
sakari

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum