Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

nord piano disable MIDI with one knob

Postby maggi » 14 Jul 2011, 01:30

hi folks,

i'm new to the forum and want to say thanks in advance for your replies .

just got my brand new nord piano and connected it to my motif xf. the question is, how it would be the easiest way to disable midi out from the piano to the motif during a live performance. i.e. continuing playing another sound on the motif while switching from a midi-sound from the motif played on the piano to an internal piano-sound, without the motif's sound. would be little to complicated to do it while entering the piano's midi-menu during a performance.

hopefully you understand what i mean. i have to admit, that I'm not the magic one with midi-controllers... :)

regards,
marc
Last edited by maggi on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
maggi

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

nord piano disable MIDI with one knob

Sponsor

Re: nord piano disable MIDI with one knob

Postby maggi » 14 Jul 2011, 01:56

ok, the most easiest thing would be to mute the channel using the motif's channel faders... this is it?
maggi

Postby Hanon_CTS » 14 Jul 2011, 02:33

maggi wrote:ok, the most easiest thing would be to mute the channel using the motif's channel faders... this is it?

Hello maggi,
Welcome to the forum!
I believe that you are on the right track.
Certainly there's no way to turn the MIDI off with a button press or knob turn of the Nord Piano.
Care has to be exercised when doing it this way, since without sending "note off" for all of the notes currently sounding, it would result in stuck notes.

I was a bit perplexed by your request.
I was thinking about setting up a performance on the Motif, with the Nord playing one or more parts on the Motif over MIDI. I had even considered using the MIDI out of the Motif to control patch changes on the Nord, then everything could be programmed as a performance on the XF even though you're using the Nord as a master keyboard.

I guess the downside of doing it this way would be having to limit the Motif to only sending program changes to the Nord and not note on/off data.

There are a lot of talented, and creative forum members here. If there's a better way, I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby maggi » 14 Jul 2011, 02:44

well, generally i'm using the motif in the so called 'live mixing' mode, without haveing to change a setup during one song. all sounds are there with a finger tip, for that case, that i've got only the xf (7) with me on stage. the problem is, that changing a whole 'song' or 'pattern' during a live performance takes too long on the motif. so the only way would be the performances, you are right. only thing with that, that i don't like them! ;-) ...

what i'm trying to keep for the future is to don't change the setup of the motif in order not to have to take the piano everytime with me. for live performance the piano is just a kind of add-on or nice to have in conjunction with our band. for unplugged sessions this is a completely other case, where it would be enough to just have the piano with me.

but wouldn't it be great, if the piano had a button to turn the midi-out off? i.e. the roland's rd-x00 have this one for two channels. i used to play a RD-600 and RD-700sx. this has been pretty usefull and very easy for non-midi-gurus like me :) ...

just want to play, nothing else! ^^
maggi

Postby Hanon_CTS » 14 Jul 2011, 02:57

Hello maggi,
I've been thinking about this a little more.
Here is an external option by MIDI Solutions:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpos.htm
With either a program change, or a footswitch input the unit will properly stop "note offs first" vall MIDI communications from the output.
Nord piano MIDI out to the MIDI Solutions MIDI IN, MIDI Solutions MIDI OUT A to Yamaha Motif XF7 MIDI In.

MIDI Solutions makes great gear, I have several of their boxes in my rig.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby maggi » 14 Jul 2011, 04:08

wow, that's exactly what i was looking for.
thanks a lot!

cheers,
marc
maggi

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum