Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

nord drum 2 looping/sequencing

Postby morfman » 20 Apr 2014, 23:27

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying the Nord drum 2.

I'm curious if you can sequence the nord beat app by playing the drum pads. Or do i need to get a separate loop pedal if I want to loop what i'm playing on the pads?
morfman

nord drum 2 looping/sequencing

Sponsor

Re: nord drum 2 looping/sequencing

Postby wartaler » 21 Apr 2014, 11:50

Hi!

The Nord Beat app doesn't record incoming MIDI, but there are other step sequencer apps that do!

Check out 'MIDI Pattern Sequencer', looks promising, seems you can even edit CC control
http://msequencer.blogspot.nl/

Cheers

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 21 Apr 2014, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Stoat » 27 Apr 2014, 11:39

Is there anyway we can get infinite repeat back? It seems like a no brainer to have it as it provides a looping function that can also be altered by the effects without having to use external looper and effects units. It was a principal selling point of the device for me.
Stoat

Postby Stoat » 01 May 2014, 07:09

I should add that its no longer in the manual:
Used to say under echo (repeat) amount 0-20 (setting to 20 results in infinite repeats)

I cant find that version of the manual anymore unfortunately. Is it possible someone can contact Nord to ask if they can put this function back in or upload the older firmware so we can choose to retain it? Really frustrating to not have it anymore.
Stoat

Postby wartaler » 01 May 2014, 15:06

Hi,
The manual was updated together with the OS update to 2.x, many new functions were added, the infinite repeat option however was removed. The fact that it's no longer in the current manual tells me it was a deliberate choice to drop the infinite repeat option. Perhaps it would require too much processing power together with newly introduced functions. If this is true, I'd personally prefer the newly introduced functions over infinite repeat..
Cheers,
Albert

The author wartaler was thanked by:
Stoat
wartaler

Postby Stoat » 02 May 2014, 08:43

Thats a real shame to hear. So if I wanted to create a live loop ie i play my beat then it keeps repeating itself - i would have to use a loop pedal or an app that stores midi? Its just I want to utilise the effects on the Nord itself and keep everything compact and free of potential mishaps.
Stoat

Postby wartaler » 02 May 2014, 18:52

Hi,

Perhaps someone here has OS 1.x - I'm not 100% sure whether it ever was on the Clavia website, and if it is possible to revert to an older OS to start with... ask customer support?
The downside would be that you loose FM, CC control, etc.

True, the drawback of adding more devices to your setup is that you also have to carry, connect, and operate them, so I can imagine you'd prefer it built-in.. The good thing with step sequencers though is that you can get perfectly quantized loops, while with an audio delay things can get a bit messy..

You could also look for a looping/delay FX processor, some reverb units also have a delay built in (+a bit of reverb can be quite nice too!) Personally, I find a real audio delay more intuitive than the built-in MIDI-like-repeat. The drawback of using an effects processor is that the same effect is applied on everything, while on the ND2 you can set delay per channel. (You could however pan the sounds you want external FX on to the left output, and the rest to the right output - and then only route left to the fx processor)

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 02 May 2014, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
wartaler

Return to Nord Drum Forum