The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

High level out - impedance?

Postby sarqoz » 13 Apr 2014, 13:19

Hello to you all,

This is my first post on this forum to inquire about the output impedance of the high level output on the Nord C series organs. I can't find the value in the manuals.

Thank you!
sarqoz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

High level out - impedance?

Sponsor

Re: High level out - impedance?

Postby tacitus » 13 Apr 2014, 22:59

I don't know what it is, but if you search around a bit you might find what the typical Leslie speaker requires and deduce it from that. I presume it'll be several times lower than the input impedance of a typical rotary speaker.

Unlikely to be a problem an any likely scenario. Have you something strange in mind?
tacitus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Re: High level out - impedance?

Postby sarqoz » 14 Apr 2014, 09:18

tacitus wrote:Unlikely to be a problem an any likely scenario. Have you something strange in mind?

Thank you, Tacitus, for your reply. To answer your question: yes and no...

NO - When I plug directly into the (1)47 amplifier, my C1 can sound quite shrill/ grainy/ digital when playing with a lot of the higher drawbars out or when playing higher up the keyboard. Impedance mismatching can also make the sound thinny, hence my question. I would think Nord'd have designed this output with impedance matching in mind, so my guess would also be that it should not pose a problem electrically... A second thought would be about the stability of the high output signal, but with the load selector OPEN it only drives the screen of the phase splitter tube through the volume pot. I must say I've had this "problem" for many years and have become very careful with pulling the higher drawbars on the Nord due to this exact issue. I did learn to use the equalizer knobs to tame the highs a bit - but then I have to remember knob settings and, honestly, I don't like the "effect sound" of the onboard equalizer: besides removing or adding a few dB's here and there, I also hear some Q factoring going on.

YES - I am toying with the idea of adding an extra tube to my (1)47 amplifier, as pre-volume gain stage or post-volume gain stage. It should function as a tube pre-amp, with *maybe* some selectable high frequency roll-off and/or adjustable gain. I am looking at some guitar tube pre-amp designs as well as rack tube pre-amps and mic tube pre-amps to modify. My objective is sound fatness without sacrificing dynamics or the valuable asset of being capable to tap into a bit of aggressiveness in the sound to cut through the mix when necessary.
sarqoz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum