Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Hi-hat setup?

Postby soundwave » 27 Mar 2014, 21:51

Hey guys, I just got a nord drum (original). I'm playing it on my simmons pads, and it's cool, but I want to get a pedal so i can open close the hihat. Is the Nord drum setup for this? I remember having problems getting the Roland SPDS to function like a proper hihat. Does the nord drum have open close, and close mute action? And if so what pedal should I get to use with my pad? I usually play with my normal hat action pretty tight (couple centemeters), so I'd like a pedal that can be adjusted that way.

I noticed in the demo on youtube he's not using a hat pedal, so I'm kind of worried that it can't handle hat pedal dynamics. :thanks:
soundwave

Hi-hat setup?

Sponsor

Re: Hi-hat setup?

Postby wartaler » 28 Mar 2014, 15:41

Hi!
Unfortunately it's not possible with ND1, for starters ND1 (and ND2) only accept simple single zone pads or triggers, nothing else. With ND2 you can make a 'mute group' where all sounds within the group mute each other, e.g. a closed hh sound will stop an open-hh sound playing, which requires 2 pads for a hi-hat.. Alternatively with ND2 it is possible to alter sound parameters (e.g. note length) thru MIDI perhaps allowing something like hi-hat open/close.
Bests,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby soundwave » 28 Mar 2014, 18:28

Ok thanks for answering my questions.

I'm very curious and perturbed why no one bothers to make acceptable electronic highhat mechanics... seems pretty damn integral to the whole "virtual" drum set concept.
soundwave

Postby wartaler » 29 Mar 2014, 00:01

Hi,

Nord doesn't make one, and if they make one now, it wouldn't be compatible with ND1/ND2 units. Other e-drum manufacturers do, but they are all different from each other, and will not work with the Nords directly, (or perhaps via a clever MIDI trick with Nord Drum2)..

What the Nord Drum is really good at is giving a very organic, or 'natural' playing experience, just by using velocity, -whether it is a very synthetic, or a nearly acoustic sound.
If you find it too limited, perhaps you should see your ND1 as a very nice addition to an acoustic-, or e-drum kit. I do think that the ND2 is a step closer to being an instrument (or drumkit if you like) in it's own right.

You suggest adding hi-hat trigger compatibility, - or one could also think of:
- multi-zone/position sensing (think of Mandala or Roland)
- choke (mute with your hands)
- well, just look at what some e-drum brands have made, esp. look at the features of the 'supernatural' series by Roland

Sonically I guess future Nord Drums will not make an attempt to mimic acoustic drumsets, but I agree incorporation of some of the above sensing techniques /pad types might make them even more expressive than current, we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Albert

btw check the vic virth site 'A History of the Drumset':
double drumming.jpg
double drumming.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 2794 times
Last edited by wartaler on 29 Mar 2014, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum