Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

How can I program the pitch changing in external MIDI sequen

Postby Bass Orgasm » 10 Mar 2014, 12:36

Hey guys,
How can I program the pitch changing of a snare for example in external MIDI sequencer or DAW? (I use Pro Tools)
I don't quite understand how MIDI CC works, can you give me a simple explanation, plz?

I just checked the Nord Beat main features, it looks like the app can't change the pitch of the sounds.
Bass Orgasm

How can I program the pitch changing in external MIDI sequen

Sponsor

Re: How can I program the pitch changing in external MIDI se

Postby wartaler » 21 Mar 2014, 18:07

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was hoping someone else would answer because I'm not familiar with Pro-Tools MIDI setup, I didn't even know it can do anything with MIDI ;)

1) set the MIDI channel [Ch.x] of the ND2 Channel with the snare sound, take care to choose a different value for x than the Global MIDI channel y [GL.y] (see page 23/24 & 28/29 in current manual)

2) generate a MIDI track in your DAW that sends MIDI to channel x

3a) for discrete notes: with a keyboard record/program different notes; the pitch of the snare will depend on the note played. If you use this method you will have to make a separate track (one that sends to MIDI channel x) for the snare sound

3b-1) for slightly more precise control over pitch set: [CC.Sr] in the MIDI menu of your ND2, - to allow sending and receiving CC control messages.
You might want to figure out how ProTools deals with CCs, but to complicate things: for the enhanced precision over pitch, the ND2 uses 2 CCs to control it: CC63 (LSB) and CC31(MSB),
a pragmatic approach would be to record the CCs that the ND2 sends when you alter pitch on the unit:

3b-2) while adjusting pitch on your ND2, record MIDI on the track created in step 2 -

3b-3) upon playback you should see the pitch value change on your ND2 display, and/or if you play it alongside your existing MIDI drumtrack the pitch of the snare sound should change...

Hope this helps,

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 21 Mar 2014, 20:21, edited 5 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
pablomastodon
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum