The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

The Right C2D monitor for the home

Postby Ole Plunkster » 26 Feb 2014, 15:03

Thank you all for a great forum. It helped me a lot in the short time I've been using it. I recently got a C2D to fulfill my lifelong desire to own a B3. I felt it was a better solution than contending with the mechanical complexities of the original.

By way of background, I am not a musician, neither by training nor talent, but I have a lot of fun playing with my C2D and had a keyboard years ago which I used with a sequencer, to my great joy, and everyone else's great consternation. Now that I have more time to dedicate to keyboard, I hope it's never too late to learn enough that I get requests other than "Use your headphones."

So I am here seeking your suggestions for an amp / speaker combination or active speaker[s] which I can use as a monitor for the C2D in my home.

I would not ever carry it to gigs, so compact size is not pre-requisite. It will stay put once it is positioned in my 55ft L x 32ft W x 25ft H open space Living Room / Dinning Room. All the surfaces of the room are "hard" and the "ceiling" is a barrel roof, so the space is very "live", with extended echo times. Generally, I have a preference for "bullet proof" products and have little patience for things which require maintenance. I have a pretty well developed ear, having been an audiophile for over 50 years. I like deep, defined bass but hate "boom". I prefer smooth, precise treble to the peaky treble exhibited by some speakers in an effort to achieve a sense of "clarity". Unlike many audiophiles I have no objection to well executed DSP.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Ole Plunkster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

The Right C2D monitor for the home

Sponsor

Re: The Right C2D monitor for the home

Postby cgiles » 26 Feb 2014, 16:23

My first choice would be the 'new' Leslie 122 (the wooden one). I have the 3300 which I use with my C2D and it sounds great in large club spaces similar to your proposed use area. Second choice would be a PAIR of HIGH QUALITY (EV or Yamaha) 12" powered monitors run in stereo no more than 8ft apart (to optimize the 'Leslie' simulation). I use EV SXa250's with my KeyB Duo Mk111 in a 25x30 studio/rehearsal room in my home and they sound very good. They have been replaced now by EV but I don't recall the model number of their replacement. Some prefer smaller (8 or 10 in.) powered monitors used in conjunction with a subwoofer, but that's a matter of space, complexity of hookup, and personal preference. Certainly a high quality sub would give you a more defined bass than a full-range 12 or even a 15. Of course there is also the financial component which may or may not be a factor.

In any case, enjoy your C2D. I love the 'playability' of mine and have yet to have anyone complain that it's not a B3.

chas

The author cgiles was thanked by:
Ole Plunkster
cgiles

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Postby pablomastodon » 26 Feb 2014, 18:15

Gotta luv my Bag Ends! I use a pair of Bag End MM-8s powered by Hafler for top end and a powered 18" Bag End sub for bottom end. They never fail to impress.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Ole Plunkster
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby RedLeo » 26 Feb 2014, 20:36

Much as I hate to bring a wet blanket to the party, but from the way you describe it, your room acoustics are likely to be in conflict with your listening needs. I understand it's a living room and there's probably only so much you can do, but some thought about deadening your acoustics - or finding a better place for your keyboard setup - might pay dividends.

The good news,though, is that by and large, the quality of powered speakers available today is very high, and if you stick to one of the name brands that people are bound to suggest, I think you'll be very happy with the outcome. It should largely be a case of choosing something in your price range and meeting your personal preferences. The days of struggling to find something that actually sounds good are largely over.

As always, try before you buy. :)
Last edited by RedLeo on 26 Feb 2014, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

The author RedLeo was thanked by:
Ole Plunkster
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby Ole Plunkster » 26 Feb 2014, 23:14

RedLeo, your point is well taken. I have long considered hanging acoustic "clouds". If any of you have a product of that nature to suggest, I am eager to hear about it.
My stereo minimizes the reverberation in the room through careful speaker placement and the use of (Quad) bi-polar Electrostatic Panels.
Unfortunately electrostatics are too delicate for use as musical instrument speakers.
Ole Plunkster

Postby Ole Plunkster » 26 Feb 2014, 23:21

CGiles, your thought about using a smaller pair of NFMs and a Sub is appealing also because it offers more placement flexibility to minimize echo when sitting at the keyboard. I like that.
Ole Plunkster

Postby Ole Plunkster » 26 Feb 2014, 23:25

pablomastodon wrote:Gotta luv my Bag Ends! I use a pair of Bag End MM-8s powered by Hafler for top end and a powered 18" Bag End sub for bottom end. They never fail to impress.

Pablo

That's a product line I've not heard of before. At a glance it looks very interesting. I will look into it further. Thanks, Pablo
Ole Plunkster

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum