Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: MOXF8?

Postby Cornopean » 29 Sep 2013, 00:33

anotherscott wrote:I agree, knobs are poor drawbar controllers. But knobs or faders, all these Yamahas are poor for this. None of them have 9 faders, none of them have real drawbar organ tone generation built in. But then, that's probably what you have your Nord for! ;-)

I end up using the MO6's organs much of the time due to the HP keybed on my Electro. There's one patch where the four sliders are something like 16+8, 5 1/3+4, 2 2/3+2, all the rest. A/B-ing the Nord wins of course, but within a band there's surprisingly little in it.

What I'd really like for a top board is a 61-note, waterfall, cut-down-and-simplified Nord Stage 2 - think something that could go on top of a Nord Piano. Something that can do organ well, add in some piano for emergencies (say 256MB) with all the clavinet samples, add in a synth section (simple, just virtual analogue single VCA, single LFO, arpeggiator, no need for FM/wavetable to confuse things) with sample memory (say another 256MB), and Electro-style effects. Give it the capability to do one split (anywhere) OR one layer (possibly max of one piano and one synth at once, but two Hammonds, to keep down DSP power requirements), add in pitch-bend range, lose the Extern section, aftertouch and multiple outputs (apart from Electro-style).

Call it something like the Nord Combi and price it about where the Electro/Piano HP are.

Won't happen, but I can dream!

Al
Cornopean
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby Darren » 29 Sep 2013, 22:24

Six-string-man wrote:but it grieves me to have to save up £1300 for MOXF 8 (things are a lot dearer here), and then find that you have to find another £250ish to take full advantage of it I know you don't have to buy the flash memory, but IMHO the board is a lot poorer without the extra capabilities.

I'm pretty sure any store would be happy to throw in or at least meet you half way on the cost of the extras if you're going in with a big bag of cash or paying by debit card.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
Darren
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby mjbrands » 30 Sep 2013, 00:21

I wonder if the MOXF line uses the same flash modules as the Motif XF. If so, a company called Mutec makes two flash modules that are compatible with the Motif XF: FMC-05 (512 MB) and FMC-06 (1 GB)

I wasn't able to find of the MOXF uses the same flash modules as the XF though.

Here's the Yamaha modules for comparison: FL512 and FL1024
mjbrands

Postby modernman1 » 18 Oct 2013, 18:40

I currently have a Nord Electro 4 HP. I just ordered the Yamaha MOXF6. I recently sold off some older gear, i.e., Korg Triton Pro and Yamaha Motif 7. I've always been impressed with the Mofit line. Yamaha's sound is just unbelievably realistic. My Electro 4 HP is the nicest, most expressive keyboard I've ever owned. Action and piano sound is the best I've ever played. From everything I've researched, the MOXF series is fantastic - especially at the price point. An added bonus regarding the MOXF6 - it weighs a mere 15 lbs. The Nord Electro 4 HP weighs just a few pounds more. I'm a studio & gigging musician. For all our shows, I double as a guitarist as well. I come to a show with guitars, amps and keys (and keyboard stage mixer). Keeping the setup easy to manage is essential, especially given short setup and breakdown periods. I expect to get the MOXF6 next week. I know Yamaha gear, so I know I won't be disappointed. - Chris
modernman1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby dminor » 25 Feb 2014, 00:02

I have both MOTIF XF8 and the MOXF8 they have the same sounds and I love them both. I put them both side by side and went thou the sounds and I also layered the same sounds on the MOXF8 like I have on the XF8. I use the knobs the same as I use the sliders so really that's the only difference. Well the MOXF is lighter but as we all know the MOTIF is the king but if you want something that's cheaper and easy to take around and has the same sounds as the XF8 then the MOXF8 is worth the buy. The keys feel really good also the only thing I hate about it is that it has that cheap plug but hey for 1699.00 vs 4000 I can deal with it.
dminor

Postby analogika » 25 Feb 2014, 13:03

Is the keyboard different from the one in the MoX6? Because I had that for a while, and the action was TERRIBLE. I literally could not play it. Got it in a pinch for one show, liked the interface better than the XS7 I'd been using, but absolutely hated the keyboard. I gave it back after a while and got a used XS6 instead.

Also, the dinky power supply connector does not exude confidence when you're rocking the machine across stages.

Do you find the sound quality to be identical? I got the impression at the time that the mox sounded cheaper somehow, but that may be psychological - I didn't A/B them under test conditions.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum