All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

YAMAHA DXR 12 as keyboard amp

Postby madkeys2000 » 30 Jan 2014, 22:59

After many years of swearing at my keyboard amps, I finally saw the light and bought myself a Yamaha DXR 12 and I'm loving every second. I have had 3 Roland KC's,plus KC sub,a Carlsbro,2 peaveys, a Hartke and finally a traynor K4. I went to my local PMT to test a Nord Stage 2,(which I bought after ditching my Korg Kronos),and asked the keys tech what he used for a keyboard monitor, he agreed that for some unknown reason, keyboard amps just don't seem to work for those of a discerning ear, and often, nearly as strange, keyboard players will go years before they admit to themselves that all the amps they ever had sounded crap! So he plugs in a DXR 12 and I was blown away, how can so much noise come from such a small speaker? anyway, I waited for mine to turn up,but still sceptical this would be the answer I was waiting for.

It was more than I hoped, it's mad!! 1100 watts,132d,it's so loud and crystal clear and no hum, all for £450 quid. Yeah you could go for a QSC K12,maybe a RCF,but to me this speaker has to be the best bang for your buck out there, this is the first time in my 25 year career that I've been happy with my onstage sound, I thought my Kc 550 had some grunt but this would eat it for breakfast and cost less too, and doesn't weigh 30 kg's!!

After parting with my Fantom G6 and Korg kronos and Hammond SK88,and flogging my Traynor K4,which was the biggest pile of crap to date despite the hype with the stereo/mono issue that's ongoing, I wondered whether I had just become so jaded that I'd never be happy again with my set up,( I had tons of beef with all those keyboards above). Well I have my new Stage 2 and now an amp that finally does it justice, this is without a doubt the best set up I've ever had. Mike.
Last edited by madkeys2000 on 30 Jan 2014, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
madkeys2000

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

YAMAHA DXR 12 as keyboard amp

Sponsor

Re: YAMAHA DXR 12 as keyboard amp

Postby Gustavo » 31 Jan 2014, 01:38

Good to hear you are happy with your setup!

I have played a Nord Stage 2 through some very crappy speakers and amps, but when I bought my Electro Voice powered speakers it was a huge change, now it was crystal clear sound.

Saludos,
Gustavo
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby thekiller01 » 13 Feb 2014, 17:23

By coincidence, I've recently posted queries on the forum asking which is best - keyboard amp or bass amp?

I've had several replies, many agreeing that a self-powered PA speaker is a better than either option - the Yamaha DXR 12 and EV ZLX 12P coming up a number of times.

I've done a little bit of research on both, and there does seem to be some adverse comments about the build quality of the latest EV speakers.

The Yamaha does get good reviews. There were some questions raised about whether or not there was a line out - but I understand there is (it's just called Link Out).

As explained in my other posting, I currently take a 1/4" jack from my NS2 to a Roland KC-350 as my keyboard monitor. A further 1/4" jack from the Roland goes to our mixing desk for output to the PA. Everything is totally mono, which will continue to be the case.

Hopefully the Yamaha will accommodate this set up?

Glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. But one further question - where did you find it for £450?
thekiller01

Postby madkeys2000 » 01 Mar 2014, 22:06

Hi,

I got it from soundslive, I emailed them for their best quote, I recently bought the stage 2 at a good price from them so I think they were fairly kind to me! I'm now gigging with the Yam dxr 12,and I'm totally blown away, it's so loud and clear, it's a revelation to be able to pump out this kind of db in a band with 2 guitars! I had a Roland kc 550 for about 10 years, I thought it was loud, it doesn't compare, this speaker to me is like finding the holy grail of keyboard amps, thing is now I'm even more confused why no one seems to make an amp for keyboards, that sounds good when you put keyboards through them lol.

The yam will do everything you need.

The author madkeys2000 was thanked by:
thekiller01
madkeys2000

Postby Jappo » 28 Mar 2014, 20:15

madkeys2000 wrote:After many years of swearing at my keyboard amps, I finally saw the light and bought myself a Yamaha DXR 12 and I'm loving every second. I have had 3 Roland KC's,plus KC sub,a Carlsbro,2 peaveys, a Hartke and finally a traynor K4. I went to my local PMT to test a Nord Stage 2,(which I bought after ditching my Korg Kronos),and asked the keys tech what he used for a keyboard monitor, he agreed that for some unknown reason, keyboard amps just don't seem to work for those of a discerning ear, and often, nearly as strange, keyboard players will go years before they admit to themselves that all the amps they ever had sounded crap! So he plugs in a DXR 12 and I was blown away, how can so much noise come from such a small speaker? anyway, I waited for mine to turn up,but still sceptical this would be the answer I was waiting for.

It was more than I hoped, it's mad!! 1100 watts,132d,it's so loud and crystal clear and no hum, all for £450 quid. Yeah you could go for a QSC K12,maybe a RCF,but to me this speaker has to be the best bang for your buck out there, this is the first time in my 25 year career that I've been happy with my onstage sound, I thought my Kc 550 had some grunt but this would eat it for breakfast and cost less too, and doesn't weigh 30 kg's!!

After parting with my Fantom G6 and Korg kronos and Hammond SK88,and flogging my Traynor K4,which was the biggest pile of crap to date despite the hype with the stereo/mono issue that's ongoing, I wondered whether I had just become so jaded that I'd never be happy again with my set up,( I had tons of beef with all those keyboards above). Well I have my new Stage 2 and now an amp that finally does it justice, this is without a doubt the best set up I've ever had. Mike.

Do you use just the one or two for stereo?

The author Jappo was thanked by:
MEL868
Jappo

Postby chrisfp99 » 10 Oct 2017, 02:17

Hi guys.

I realize I'm three years late on this post, but, to the OP, I've had a Roland KC550 for many years (don't judge me too harshly). No other amp has been loud enough for my keys, and we're a wedding band - no great volume. Tried a QSC K10 once and just not loud enough. I'm dead keen on something like the DXR12 but would it be enough? Should I consider some sort of pre-amp?

Just fed up with crap piano sounds .. keep buying new keyboards but think it's time I addressed my amplification (which I use as a backline - never go through the PA).

Thoughts?

Chris
chrisfp99

Postby harmonizer » 10 Oct 2017, 05:38

This recent thread has a good discussion on amplification options:
general-nord-forum-f29/suggested-amps-t13913.html
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Quai34 » 10 Oct 2017, 07:51

Yeah, check the blog by Cphollis, best one ever for keyboards amplification....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Accessories and Amplification