Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord Drum 2 vs Nord Lead 4

Postby chvad » 12 Jan 2014, 06:15

SOOOOO I have a lead 4. I'm looking for a percussion solution and the Drum 2 has been on my radar. Thing is, the Nord Drum 2 plus the pad isn't the cheapest thing in the world so I'm just a tad hesitant. I was wondering, how different is the synth engine in the Drum 2 vs the Lead 4. The 4 can make some nice drum sounds and it has 4 parts so conceivably, if I could make due with 4 parts I could get a midi pad/trigger and play some percussion with the Lead 4. I've never had my hands on the Drum 2 so does anyone here have both? Are the engines similar? Different enough to warrant having both? Def appreciate the input.
chvad

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Nord Drum 2 vs Nord Lead 4

Sponsor

Re: Nord Drum 2 vs Nord Lead 4

Postby mjbrands » 12 Jan 2014, 16:37

I wonder if the envelopes on the NL4 are quick enough, especially the attack phase. The Waldorf Blofeld is quite good for percussive sounds, specifically because you can make the attack phase so short. You could try using noise as an oscillator and see how short you can get the attack.

Is the Nord Drum an option? It seems to cost about 200 euro, while the Nord Drum 2 costs 500. No idea what the differences are though.
mjbrands

Postby chvad » 12 Jan 2014, 20:19

For sure I'm not against the nord drum one. I'm just trying to avoid anything overly redundant in my setup. I like the percussive stuff I've pulled from the lead4, I'm just wondering if there are components to the drum2 that make it more expressive for percussion than the lead.
chvad

Postby mjbrands » 13 Jan 2014, 01:37

chvad wrote:I'm just wondering if there are components to the drum2 that make it more expressive for percussion than the lead.

I do too :lol:

Apart from the speed of the envelopes, it seems to me the Lead 4 is more flexible if triggering via MIDI is an option.
mjbrands

Postby kroffe » 14 Jan 2014, 10:31

The Nord Lead 4 and Nord Drum 2 are two very different beasts.
The Nord Drum 2 drum engine consists of three parallel parts - noise, tone and click.
The tone part also features drum models that are not possible through traditional subtractive synthesis.
Hope this helps you decide.
Last edited by kroffe on 14 Jan 2014, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
kroffe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Postby chvad » 14 Jan 2014, 17:28

def helps! thanks!
chvad

Return to Nord Drum Forum